Gaige the Mechromancer
Last Updated: 09-10-2013
I started compiling bits and pieces for Gaige in July! I was so excited to see her character design that I jumped on it from the concept art.
(Unfortunately, life happened and I didn't get to actually -work- on the costume until 72 hours before the con. ONE DAY. ONE DAY I WILL ACTUALLY START A PROJECT BEFORE THE CON.)
The tights are opaque white tights from Walmart. (George, $5.) I put them on and striped them off with a yard stick and a fabric-safe marker into accurate proportions. I removed the tights, stretched them over a giant roll of craft foam and taped them off with blue painters' tape. They were painted black with good ole' black Tulip Fabric Paint. (Watch out: the more you apply, the less the fabric stretches. It may be best to do light coats and finish them off with a Sharpie Fabric Marker while you're wearing them.)
The skirt was created using a tutorial I found on youtube for Box Pleat Skirts. (They're basically generic school uniform skirts, so there are a ton of ways to do them.)
The shirt was a red shirt with a low neck that I found at Goodwill. I purchased a similar black tee and used it to create bias tape for the red shirt. For the cut-off sleeve, I just seam ripped the right sleeve and secured the raw stitching so it wouldn't continue to unravel.
The jacket was a hoodie I found at Goodwill. I used a t-shirt resizing tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS6j7oYFTxc) to trim it down to my size. To make the fake seam on the back of the jacket, I puckered the fabric from the back and ran a seam down the center. To create the mantle, I stretched the jacket over a dummy and duct taped the appropriate area off. I sketched a rough pattern of where I wanted the finished mantle to rest, then transferred the duct tape pattern to a scrap piece of black cotton I later used as lining. Satisfied that the cotton lining piece matched up with the hoodie in all the right places, I pinned out the mantle on my production fabric. I cut seams into the pattern where the rolls of fabric would be on the mantle, then created 1" seam allowance on those seams. I french-rolled those seams together to make it look like the mantle had extra layers and thickness, then I pinned and sewed it to the jacket.
The epaulettes are sticky-back pins with gold mirror-paper from the scrapbooking section of Jo Ann Fabrics.
The appliques are simple white cotton with iron-on applique backing. I hand drew the skulls, triangle decal, and caution decal onto the white cotton with Fabric Sharpies (and Bic Sharpies -- water safe after 24 hrs, thus far) and ironed them into place. I also stitched them down along the outlines, because I'm paranoid.
The lunchbox was picked up at Goodwill and repainted by my boyfriend. It has the Anarchist logo on one side (to match Salvador) and the Claptrap logo on the other (to match the concept art). The lunch box serves as a functional purse to hold wallet and phone!
The shoes are Chuck Taylor High-Tops from Ebay. Laces are also from Ebay. Used white-out on the Allstar logo and drew the Vault symbols on with Fabric Sharpies.
The mechanical arm is made from shiny grey tights as per this Vriska Robot Arm tutorial by anniina85. http://anniina85.deviantart.com/art/Vriska-robot-arm-TUTORIAL-1of2-257248957 Used Sharpies, Bic Markers, and Prismacolor markers for colors. It's pinned to my bra strap with safety pins.
The red glove uses the same Vriska Tights-to-Gloves tutorial as the robo arm. It was cut from a spare pair of opaque white tights and then stove-dyed with Rit as per their online instructions.
The gold lock is a U-brace from Lowe's Hardware and an Altoids tin. They are spray painted Bauhaus Gold, since Krylon is the only darn company to make actual yellow spray paint.
The black bracelet and the hair ties are made from black pipe insulation foam from Lowe's Hardware. They're both secured into place with pipe tape and bolts.
The hair was created using a combination of techniques from ladythesta's pigtails tutorial (http://ladythesta.deviantart.com/gallery/12001703#/d1z7hst) and EpicPanda's Odango tutorial (http://xepicpanda.deviantart.com/art/Odango-Tutorial-194097982). The ponytails are attached via a headband worn under the wig to support the weight.
Goggles and generic wig were purchased from ebay.
Both necklaces were created from hardware bits.
Please log in or register to view comments.