This was my competition piece for Auckland Armageddon 2012.
We entered as a group with Eva and Rubilax, and won best performance in the novice category with our (singing) skit.
This version is Amalia's dress from the opening sequence where you only get a few seconds to glance at it, and so I only had pretty much 1 reference picture from 1 angle.
The bodice I made a bit too long and didn't realise until comp day, as my group and I finished our costumes in the wee hours of the morning on comp day.
The colour of the dress would have been better, but as it was my first time dabbling with dye I added a bit too much red during my 3rd time dying the damn thing. It was a mixture of tea dye, washing machine dyeing, and stove top dyeing. I will definitely use stovetop dyeing next time as it gives a much better result (and you can control it better).
The skirt has a wire frame holding it up. I wasn't able to find no. 5 or no. 8 wire or anything at my local hardware store, but I found some heavy duty gardening wire which held up really well. The wire was encased in a tunnel of crinoline, sewn onto the interfacing layer inside the skirt. The interfacing is like super thick coffee filter, thank goodness I found something like that.
Everything was lined. The tiara was made from a double layer of craft foam with a bit of regular wire inside to give it support, which ended up being bendable which was a plus!
The vine things coming from the skirt has wire supporting it inside as well. It's attached to the skirt with velcro.
The cording on the skirt is fastening on the back with sellotape. Yep, things you do last minute in the wee hours on comp day.
The wig was styled with a curling iron. I found it curls much better when the wig was wet.
The pony tail is another wig with a huge crocodile clip stuffed inside the wefts.
This costume was my most complex to date. What a blast.
Best Performance (Novice)