Last Updated: 03-22-2006
I wasn't planning on this costume, but the opportunity kinda fell into my lap. I was randomly searching eBay and a navy blue satin dress popped up. Except for the neckline and side openings, the dress was EXACTLY what I would make if I was to sew this from scratch. Since it was only $20, I decided to purchase it and try my hand at altering it.
This project made me realize that, in some ways, making a garment from scratch is easier than doing an alteration. It was very difficult for me to redo the neckline and sides. I didn't do a perfect job, so the lining is uneven in some places. I may take it apart again and see if I can do a better job.
I *love* the rest of the costume, though. My train is so full and it falls so nicely :). I think this is the best I've done on rolled hems so far. I picked up dark blue semi-opaque stones and gold filigree charms from a costume shop in town to make the necklace pendant and side ornaments on the dress. They look gorgeous close up, and I regret that I don't have better pictures of them.
When I wear this at AX, I might try a different method of drawing the Uranus symbol on my forehead. I used blue eyeliner this time, and it looks kinda flat :/.
Please log in or register to view comments.