Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Steampunk Stripes


Last Updated: 12-06-2013

I had quite a lot of striped material left over from making my Um of Umbridge costume, and wanted to use that. I wanted to make a new steampunk costume, since the green steampunk costume

The design was inspired by Emilie Autumn and some of Colleen Atwood's work, as well as the plethora of stripy steampunk clothes out there.

he bodice is based on a Burdastyle wedding dress pattern from March 2011. It has a princess seam and a dip in the front. I made the neckline much lower, since it was too high and constrictive for me.

Cutting out the stripes so that they made a continuous pattern was difficult. I managed by using the pattern pieces and laying them over the cloth. I then marked where the stripes were, and arranged the paper pieces until I knew where I wanted to the stripes to be. I then laid the paper pattern pieces over the cloth so that my markings matched the stripes, and traced around my paper pieces.

I didn't have enough material to make a circle skirt, so I decided to make a gathered skirt. Gathered skirts are very easy: you just make one long rectangle, and gather it until it fits the waist of the bodice. Mine was a little more complicated because I wanted to add side pockets

Since the striped fabric was slightly transparent, I made lining layer from thin white cotton for the bodice, skirt, and sleeves. The skirt lining is a half circle skirt, because having a gathered lining and gathered out material would create bulk at the waist.

Attaching the lining was slightly tricky. First I attached the invisible zip in the side of the dress. Next I put the lining inside the dress, so that the wrong sides of outer and inner layers were touching, and pinning everything in place. I hand sewed the lining layer to the zip.

To make the sleeves, I took a normally sleeves pattern, and divided it in six. I cut it into six pieces. Next I cut out inch wide rectangles the same length as my sleeve. A rectangle piece was inserted between each piece of sleeve, to create a puff sleeve

To make the dress look more Victorian, I created a fake placket for buttons, then sewed some buttons on. The buttons are handmade from Polymer clay and paper clips. You basically create the shape of your button, twist a section of paper clip into a V shape, and stick it into the clay, then bake it.

The dress was finished with a lace trim around the neckline and on the hem of the skirt.

Currently I am still deciding how I want to style this costume. I was thinking of dying my hair bright red to emulate Emilie Autumn, but I don't want to slavishly copy her look.


Comments: 0

Please log in or register to view comments.


Character Steampunk Stripes
Costume Views 616
Favorites 0
Comments 0
Upload Date 07-14-2013

Copyright 2002-2017, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.