This madness all started when my boyfriend started reading Tsubasa. "I wanna cosplay Syaoran! I want you to cosplay Sakura!" he said. Even though I am a big Fai fangirl and would probably look better cosplaying him rather than Sakura, I said okay. I knew I'd fall in love with one artbook outfit or another. This was the one!
The main white fabric is a nice, thick 100% cotton twill Aya Mizu helped me buy in the LA Fashion District. It's very heavy and soft, and I wish it didn't wrinkle so much :(.
The skirt is 6 panels that make a full circle when I'm sitting down. It's floor-length in the front and lengthens to a 10" train in the back. Yes, it's very pretty and dramatic, but it's VERY hard to walk!
The top is based on a kimono pattern page I found online, with changes obviously made for the sleeves. Because of the paint I had to line the sleeves, which was a pain in the butt X_x.
Both of these parts were painted with Jacquard's Dye-Na-Flow paints. Because the paint spreads quite a bit when it's placed on fabric, I first painted the flame borders with a gold resist.
The obi and undershirt are made from cotton sateen (mmm, I love this fabric ^^). I used a pattern for portions of the undershirt, but the obi and attached bow are patterned by myself. The obi is boned and laces in the back, and the bow is then pinned to it.
On those pieces, I painted the design with Jacquard Lumiere. Since these parts were accents, I wanted them to shine a bit more than the main outfit. That's why I embellished it all in beads. I used gold and red seed beads, sometimes staggering the two to create a pseudo gradient. This portion is what took the bulk of the time.
The wig started life as a Femme Fatale. I straightened it a bit, then gave it a cut and styled the antenna. Oddly enough, once I cut it the hair naturally curled into Sakura's style. The bangs are inaccurate but I left them the way they were to better accent the headband.
The headband actually consists of two pieces. The first piece clips into the wig, and the second is sewn onto the kimono top. I used glass beads that were far too heavy for the wig to handle, so that's why I sewed part of it to the kimono. I especially like the gradient-painted butterfly that ends the string of beads.
If you made it to the end of this description, you deserve a cookie. *hands cookie*
Anime Expo 2006: Best CLAMP costume