Dead or Alive 4
Last Updated: 02-20-2007
The top is made of a black semi-stretch material that's double-layered to avoid top-stitching. It was based off a tank top pattern but that was heavily modified in the front with darts and only one strap. The back was completely redrawn. The skeleton designs on the front and back of the shirt are iron-on transfers. I cut up a padded bra and attached the cups into the front, then used the hook & eye closures at the connecting point for the top, adding extra rows of hooks to make it stronger.
The pants are NOT made of leather as I will use the costume for a martial arts skit and I need to have flexible clothing to go with high kicks. I chose a heavy-duty spandex that has a very strong satin sheen and will look flashy from the stage. This is just one of the many little details we are changing specifically to accomodate use on stage in our DOA4 ostume project. The pattern has been altered to give it more of a boot leg flare and no zipper is needed. The leg flames were drawn freehand, and I've used a golden yellow/orange stretch velvet which I touched up with fabric spray paint (product = Simple Spray) in various shades of orange and red.
I have a pair of boots for the hall and flat shoes for the stage, and the matching flames have been patterned and cut out of the same velvet for the pants. They have also been sprayed with multi-colors. The skit shoes have their flames permanently attached and the other flames on the boots are temporary, just for hall cosplaying. The boots are really comfy and were a tad costly, so I want to be able to remove the flames and wear them normally. I used a combination of temporary fabric glue and double-sided tape with the boot flames, which peels off and can be washed away easily. And since the boots don't crease much as I walk, I think they'll stay on well.
The armor pieces' base is made of Wonderflex and then the actual scultped teeth & jaw is made of Crayola model magic. The skull belt buckle is the same. They are painted now but as they initially dried out, the pieces flattened. So I reshaped and filled in the leg armor pieces with more model magic and did another paint coat. After that, there's ten layers of acrylic clear coating.
I plan on replacing the black wrist cuffs when I find some better ones, but the onces I'm using (courtesy of Hot Topic) have blunt pyrimid studs and that's safer to use in our skit than actual spiked cuffs. The wig will also get replaced by a better one, but the one I have is actually my second attempt... it's a story that's boring and long, so I won't bother.
Hitomi: The gi is from a Simplicity pattern and the straight seams are all French seams. Most are top-stitched down to reinforce the seams for martial arts movements. The tank top was also based off a pattern and modified to include massive bust darts to accomodate a D-cup bra for Becky to stuff with lots of padding. The phoenix was a stencil and painted on using Stencil Spray (a variant of Simple Spray). The top zips in the back.
Jann Lee: The black pants are made from a pattern using black stretch material. The chaps are lined (using the same burgandy peachskin and hand-stitched in) and I had to make the white velvet piping myself. The flame applique took about 2 hours per pants to sew, not taking into account the time spent sketching it out, cutting and gluing into place... The gloves were a random fleece pair I had at home. I cut off the fingers and hand-stitched the edges back. The white piece is velvet over wonderflex and then glued down. The shit guards are made of the same material from the black pants and we used the elastic straps from Colt's old sparring gear for the bands along his calf.
Ein: Ein's pants could be leather or just really dirty... so we went with this reptile skin print I've had for a few years in storage, so I'm glad to finally have a use for it. It's actually fuzzy, too! And since the reference images aren't too sharp, I had liberal choice with using buttons, a zipper or whatever to finish the pants off. I chose making a lace-up crotch and had fun banging in the grommets and patterning out the crotch. Thankfully the fabric has a bit of stretch, so it worked well with our fight skit and the practices we did prior to the con.
Please log in or register to view comments.