Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Lucius Malfoy

Chamber Of Secrets

Harry Potter Series

Last Updated: 02-27-2011

Lucius Malfoy Costume Journal
Chamber of Secrets Version

The robe

The robe took the longest to make but was actually quite easy to construct. I used a combination of a robe pattern with a graduation cloak pattern. This was so I could closely match the sleeves. The robe was made in a heavy weight cotton drill, lined in deep red satin lining and finished off with fake fur edging.

The jacket

Originally I used a shop brought one. I’m now making one to replace it.

The shirt

Made using a basic shirt pattern. I modified the collar and front fastenings. The shirt was made in a light cotton with a two tone taffeta used for the collar.

The waistcoat

Although the easiest part to make it proved to be the most headache. Finding the fabric was a challenge. Nothing near me was selling anything close so I had to search further a field. I eventually found something that was similar but I had to modify the fabric. So it was hand dyed to the right colour. The pattern for it was one I designed. The waistcoat then needed to be replaced as the fabric was so fragile. I went with a Chinese satin for the replacement and hand painted it the right colour.

The neck broach and snake broaches

These were all hand made. I made the neck broach by using a broach base. I added the gem in the centre then moulded some modelling putty around it to create the snake. It was finished in acrylic paint and varnish. The two snake pins were made from scratch using modelling putty called ‘Milliputt’. They were painted with acrylic paint and sealed with spray varnish.

The trousers, shoes and gloves

Are all shop brought. I wanted to make the trousers but ran out of time. I would like to make them one day so that they match better with the outfit.

The snake Cane/wand

This is by far, my favourite piece of this costume. When I first put this costume together no official version had been released so I made the whole thing from scratch. The snake head/wand was made using a base of wood doweling. The wand was an old arrow that I hand whittled down to the right shape. It was then drilled into the snake base. The snake head was then hand moulded using modelling putty. The teeth were formed using toy swords from miniatures used for table top role play games. The eyes were old marbles. Once it was dry I then sanded it for about four to sic hours to get the right shape and smoothness. The cane part was made from an old mop. The end was removed and replaced using modelling parts. The whole prop was then painted in acrylic paint and sealed with varnish.

The hair is my own.

This costume took around about two months to make. The total cost was about £100 GBP.


3rd place at Collectormania 8 here in the UK

Comments: 0

Please log in or register to view comments.


United Kingdom


Character Lucius Malfoy
Series Harry Potter Series
Costume Views 2654
Favorites 3
Comments 0
Upload Date 04-12-2007
Debuted 2005

Copyright 2002-2017, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.