This costume is for Keith to wear in our Street Fighter Revival: Part Deux project. We're going with the black gi/red glove reference art that we've found, although there are lots of minute variations.
I'll have photos up soon, but the gi is made from scratch using a Butterick pattern. This time around, I made some adjustments to the pattern, by widening the front flaps so that they cross farther across his chest and waist. I also added in the side parting at the seams, which is what a traditional gi actually has, as well as the reference art.
I chose a black cotton/polyester blend that has a brushed texture. Very soft! :) All the "rough jags" along the arm holes and pant legs are actually stitched in black thread, then trimmed close so that the fabric frays with control. The other hems on the gi top are sewn by hand, as is the inside part of the neck border. I did french seams for the major straight seams (legs and side of jacket), and zigzaged the raw seam inside the crotch, to reduce fray.
The gloves are from last year's Street Fighter project and anyone curious on how they're made can just check out my folders for the picture tutorial on the gloves.
Best in Show (Otakon 2007)