This costume is entirely Odangochan's fault XP. She suggested it to me before I'd even seen the film, and I eventually decided to make it to go with her Jack costume. Group costuming can be powerful persuasion, and I was also roped into my first ever skit along the way. I was happy to make it when it's a simple enough outfit, and was able to buy and adapt some existing items, plus use my own hair, so overall it wasn't too much work and was cheap too!
I bought a pair of trousers in a charity shop, and added buttons to the fly. I already had a suitable pair of boots, so I just bought some suedette to create the tops. I couldn't get any fabric which was an exact match, which was a bit annoying. I used an existing shirt, replacing the cuffs with gathered ones and adding cord to those as well as at the collar. I bought the hat on ebay, but I'm not too happy with it. I was able to use my own hair, leaving it in braids beforehand to get it slightly wavy (this is one of the few occasions I resented having naturally straight hair!)
The main thing I had to make was the waistcoat. I was concerned about the stripes on the back, assuming I'd have to sew lines, draw or paint them, none of those options really appealing to me. Luckily I found a hideous garment in Primark which was made from maroon striped fabric. Not quite exact, but good enough and definitely an easier way to go about the stripes. So I bought it in the largest size, disassembled it and had enough fabric it to make the back section. I then bought fabric to make the front (good thing the colours aren't meant to match up!). The buttons were made using a covering kit, and I'm now addicted to covering buttons and making everything match...
The baldric is leatherette (I bought a whole load of it when it was on sale for my Karin bootcovers, so I was able to use some for this costume too). I found the belt didn't like to stay in place, so it velcros to my shoulder, and I relied on a few safety pins too. The buckle came from a cheap Primark belt, and I bought a cheap plastic sword to complete it. The baldric was one aspect where I went overboard with accuracy trying to get it all exact, and mostly succeeded. I found copying a movie costume drove me slightly insane. Little aspects like getting the cuffs of the shirt precise were preying on my mind, but in the end I just went an sewed something which resembled it, which is all that really matters.
Entertainment Category Prize - London Expo May 2007 (Sunday)