This costume is complete, but will already be receiving some overhaul repairs before it's worn at another convention. There's one more detail that I just want to add and I want to remake the boots as one started having issues with the eyelets and I know that I can do a better job now that I'm not rushed to finish...
Anyway, the costume was probably the biggest challenge I've faced in a long time. Starting from the top, the buns are bridal satin circles with lace edging. I sewed in 16 button holes to lace the ribbons (with gold painted edges) thru and tie in a bow, with a second ribbon tied over the knot so there's a double bow. The ribbon is wired, so it keeps shape very well. The inside of the buns is 1/2" foam shaped to go over my own hair, with two small hair clips for support. It stayed on ALL day with no problems and is probably my favorite part of the entire costume.
Next, the dress. I used a pink cotton suiting material with stretch and gold stretch satin. It's based off a chinese dress pattern that was utter cr*p and required a LOT of modifications along the waist with some extra bust darts in order to fit correctly. I scooped out the sides and the dress has 9 snaps along the front slash and a 7" side zipper that's prick-stitched along the side waist. The main seams are all sewn by maching but all the curved inner gold edges and detail is hand-appliqued, simply by folding under the edge of the fabric and using a very tiny hem-stitch. All the seams are pressed open and the egdes are zigzag-stitched to the inside so there's no raw fabric and I can get the dress dry-cleaned easily. The dress was completed in the last four days before Otakon, and I easily spent over 25 hours on all the gold hemming and applique in that time frame. The only modification to the dress I plan to do is add some swirls to the back of the dress. It's a small detail in only some of the reference art, but it would look nice.
The waist sash I made is styled off of a waist cinch corset, minus any boning. It's white vinyl backed with stretch velvet and top-stiched down to keep the edges flat. I have eyelet tape in the back, so it laces up the back over the dress.
Under the dress is a pink leotard in matching pink. It's a standard pattern with an adjustment to the rear so it wears like a thong. Definitely the eternal wedgie of doom all day... *sighs*
The tights are standard dance tights that I dyed using Rit, the Wine shade. I'll definitely buy a few more pairs and dye them as well just so I have back-up when this pair snags and runs.
The wrist cuffs are foam covered in spandex. I cut two half-circles in 1/2" and 1" foam, attached them together to be 1 1/2" thick and covered the sides and inner portions with brown cotton lycra. The outer circle is foamie covered in the same lycra and the spikes are made of wonder flex. They are hollow so I hot-glued in foam bits and that gave me a base to glue/attach to the outer part of the cuff. As the number and size of the spikes vary in art, I went with five and kept them small. They're annoying enough at that size and I did injure myself during our skit with a move that had me slapping my palm underhanded. Blunt puntures hurt!
The boots are white vinyl, with detailing down with the same white stretch velvet that I used in the waist cincher. They're essentially boot covers with eyelet lacing and attached over slingback canvas mules. I liked how they came out overall, but I want to try remaking them as the glue was rused and I wasn't able to make the bottom edges along the sold as smooth as I'd like. Plus a few eyelets already wanted to rip out by the end of the con and I might as well just make 'em again with a few changes. I plan to take pictures of that this time as I had no time with getting everything else ready for our group this year.
And that's pretty much it! Whee!
Best in Show (Otakon 2007)