Regency Rose Dress and Spencer
Last Updated: 07-02-2007
This is my most complete Regency ensemble so far. I have a shift and stays on underneath the dress, and have paired my rose print day dress with a brown taffeta spencer jacket and matching bonnet.
That bonnet is so incredibly fun to wear, and making is was astoundingly easy. I pulled apart a cheap, straw hat bought at Hobby Lobby, and sewed the straw braid back together in the shape of the brim. The outer fabric and its muslin lining are stitched directly to the straw brim, and the center back is gathered into a self-covered button. The fabric of the bonnet (and the stuff I made the spencer out of) is a.... um..... polyestertafettathatwasonsale. More importantly, it is pretty and and was cheap.
For the spencer, I used the riding habit from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion as my base pattern. Seeing as how I'm writing this up more than a year after making it, I've completely forgotten where I and how I deviated from dear Janet.
The dress is mostly adapted from the Butterick Regency pattern (an old friend of mine) but with large deviations.
And last but not least, the stays underneath (which look craptastic due to my impatience, but are very functional) were made from the scaled up pattern from the book 'Corsets and Crinolines'.
Please log in or register to view comments.