Final Fantasy X-2
Last Updated: 09-03-2011
This was made by Chantť. It was a costume I was considering making myself, but I ended up buying it when I spotted it for sale, particularly since this was back in the days of my earliest costumes. I really love the sparkly fabric. The skirt is a circle skirt, and the matching confetti dot tie is padded out to keep its shape. The jacket is suedette, with ribbon ruffles and zips up the back. It's neatly fitted, and has gorgeous beading at the hem.
The accessories were left up to me. I had trouble finding circular belt buckles (I ended up gluing on shower curtain rings.) I used elastic for the arm and leg ribbons, but neither stay in place very well. The earrings were made from the old feathers from my FFX Rikku costume. I bought satin gloves and suedette boots and left them as they were, apart from adding the feathers, so that was simple. Later on for Minami 2007, I added the gradient effect, and had a go and trying to make the base colour match the jacket better. I touched up the paint for AyaCon 2011 using the spray paint leftover from Reith.
The main improvement for Minami in 2007 was my wig though. At AmeCon 2004 (my first con!) I made do with my own hair. I first styled the wig over the summer and Mewski wore it as Pixie Rikku for our group at AmeCon 2006. I started out with the Aliceís Dream wig from Amphigory in Honey Sweet. It was the ideal length and didnít have a fringe, which was what I wanted.
I straightened it slightly and cut in the short pieces at the front. The remainder of the wig went into a ponytail which luckily didnít need to be particularly neat as the headband, braids and everything hide the majority. I just had to make sure it still fitted my head (The headband is an interfaced blue/purple taffeta, and is loosely sewn into the wig.)
I used a pack of extensions for the braids. Rikku has something like 13 braids in total, but I found that most would be hidden by the ponytail so I went with four loops at the front (held in position with a few stitches), and four straight braids. The beads are wooden, with the holes drilled to be large enough for the braids, then painted. They fit the braids tightly enough to stay in place, and the ends of the braids are held with clear bands.
Because my extensions didnít quite match the wig, I used a second pack in the ponytail to even out the colours. The extensions were the colour I really wanted the wig to be, so I needed to incorporate a lot of them. This also upped the fluffiness and added to the length so was perfect! I finished up my chopping in short pieces to stick up out of the ponytail on top.
Please log in or register to view comments.