Final Fantasy VIII
Last Updated: 06-12-2007
This was the costume of lucky fabric finds! My first Rinoa costume was a duster I dyed blue and adapted. It wasn't completely accurate, and I didn't have a wig or anything - just another one of my early costumes, long since retired. I had no pressing urge to remake it, until I happened to spot blue ribknit fabric. Even then I didn't buy it immediately because it was expensive, but after thinking about it, I realised it was too good a find to pass up.
I created a pattern for the duster using spare fabric to make a mock-up. I designed it to only have shoulder seams, and it was pretty simple to figure out. Finishing the edges was a nuisance because I couldn't find any matching bias binding, and my plan to make trim from the fabric failed since the stripes were too narrow for it to work well. Luckily the shop sold an equivalent plain fabric, so I bought a small amount of that to make trim from. It was still a pain because the fabric was really too thick to double up like bias tape. I tried a lot of things to reduce the bulk, and in the end had to finish it all by hand. The duster fastens with a snap, and has decorative buttons covered in the same fabric. The wings were painted on - I made a stencil to get it neat and ensure both were the same.
I found lovely printed quilting cotton (in the very same shop) which I thought was ideal for the skirt. It was easy to make, the only issue was the thinness of the fabric, so I underlined it in some spare twill I had to give it a more appropriate weight. Unfortunately that's not quite sufficient since the skirt seems to wrinkle a lot - probably because of how it bunches when I sit. In future I may try interfacing, starch, or just thorough ironing and not sitting down too much to help! For the shorts I bought I cheap pair of leggings which were cut to the right length and added the zips.
The top is a t-shirt, altered to have the v-neck and straps. It let me make the correct neckline (something I couldn't find in existing tops) but ended up too short, so I have a few stitches holding it to the front of the skirt! For that reason I'd like to find/make a better top. I already had the rings for the necklace, and the arm ribbon is made from elastic so it stays up nicely. The boots were a pain to find - and I eventually got a reasonable pair on ebay. I painted the grommets silver, and added the straps and buckles.
The wig is my long Garnet wig. I decided it was getting a bit decrepit, and I'd never liked the layers in it since they were unsuitable for Garnet's hairstyle. So I recycled it and cut it shorter to become Rinoa! I had to switch the fringe to the other side, and cut it more layers at the front, but overall it didn't take much work. The highlights are reddish-brown fibre I had spare. I took small sections, pulled them through the top of the wig using a wool needle and hot glued the ends to keep them in place.
Please log in or register to view comments.