What got you into cosplay?
It's all liddo-chan's fault. She infected me with the cute addictiveness of Katamari Damacy, and then said, "Hey, I bet we could make those costumes!"
What was your first costume and why?
Kuro, the black and red cousin from Katamari Damacy. Kuro's styling. He's so cool. (I also have a Black Lady costume that I made in 1999 hiding in my closet somewhere, but we don't talk about that.)
What is your favorite costume and why?
Kuro and HIM. Kuro, because that was my first cosplay experience and we got such a great reaction from people (in person, and on the interwebs). And HIM because it's a crazy costume and I just adore the character.
Do you have a dream costume you'd like to make?
Hikou from Fushigi Yuugi, Polychrome from the Oz books, and Noa from Sky Doll. One down, two to go!
What has been your most memorable cosplay experience?
1) Not being able to move at Fanime or Anime Expo in 2005 because of the photographers clamoring for Katamari Damacy pictures.
2) Meeting our Katamari princesses at Anime Expo 2005. Mikkuru and Pan-chan, thank you so much!
3) Getting boingboing'd and digg'd (dugg?) for our Katamari costumes.
4) The reaction on cosplay.com when I first uploaded my HIM costume. That was incredible. I've never gotten so many comments!
5) The Acid Tokyo photoshoot with liddo-chan. Getting all bloody and losing an eye was fun. And grossing Lionboogy out to extremes was awesome.
6) Meeting and taking pictures with Craig McCracken and Tom Kane while dressed up as HIM. They liked my costume, and I was seriously giddy and over-the-moon at meeting them.
7) Being a part of TakaraZUKO! Our experience in the masquerade at San Diego Comic-Con 2008 was incredible! Our skit went flawlessly, we got a great reaction from the crowd, and we won three prizes! What could be better?
8) Getting positive comments from Barbara Canepa, co-creator of Sky Doll, on my Noa costume. Link to her blog: http://bit.ly/5foSf (NSFW, be warned!)
9) This last one may sound dumb, but being asked to join groups. I'm friends with cosplayers who are far too talented to hang around with my n00b self, and so when they ask me to make costumes and participate in groups/photoshoots with them, I'm really touched.
Do you participate in masquerades?
Yep! Wondercon 2008 ("The Villains of Townsville" with Umi), San Diego Comic-Con 2008 ("TakaraZUKO presents West Side Story" with liddo-chan, Umi, Hoshikaji, and TsukiNoBara), Yaoi-Con 2008 (Zuko fashion show presented by TakaraZUKO), and San Diego Comic-Con 2009 ("A Quick-Start Guide to Your Sky Doll").
What was your best masquerade experience?
SDCC 2008! Martin Jacquish runs an excellent show.
Have you won any awards for your costumes?
Umi and I won an honorable mention for our Villains of Townsville skit at Wondercon 2008. Check it out here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1xuzUDs8vdQ
Our Avatar cosplay group, TakaraZUKO, won Most Humorous as well as a couple of industry awards for our Avatar skit at SDCC 2008. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kqnnkhWsb4
TakaraZUKO also won best individual performance at Yaoicon 2008! (The reasoning behind giving the entire group an individual award was because we were all the same character in our Zuko fashion show! XD)
Tell us a little about yourself
I work. It pays the bills. It's not anything special. In my spare time, I bike, cook, play D&D, and engage in other nerdly activities.
Is there anything else you'd like to add?
New costumes for 2009: more Axis Powers Hetalia, more One Piece, and hopefully one or two of my dream costumes!
My favorite movies(s)
Tron (yes, seriously)
My favorite actors/actresses
For some reason, my photoshoots aren't showing up, so I'll use this field to link to them. (Pity we can't use HTML here.)