Prior to this project, I had never worked with high quality automotive paints. Originally, I had wanted to have an auto-body shop paint the pieces for me, but the pieces were far too light to withstand the blast of paint from their spray guns. So, aerosol was my only option, and after much research and talking to experts, I decided to go with a 3-stage candy apple red. This required a base coat of silver, followed by a few coats of red, finished with few clear coats.
I had selected my paints in Thunder Bay, but unfortunately couldn't buy them there, as I was gong to paint the pieces at home (Kitchener), and didn't want to pay to ship the cans home, especially since I didn't know how many I would need.
So, I found a place in Kitchener that sold the same brand of paint, and arranged to visit them as soon as I was home. Upon going to this place and telling them what paint I wanted, they told me that they could no longer produce that paint, as the Canadian Government has banned all paints that contain VOCs. On top of that, the 3-stage paint was far too challenging for a novice like myself, or so I was told. Instead, it was suggested I use the new water-born paints in a single-stage urethane. Being the novice I was, I trusted their judgement, and ordered that instead.