This was a bunch of embroidery done for Midnight Rocket, who was making Cosmos for our Dissidia Final Fantasy group in the Fanime 2011 masquerade. She made the majority of her costume but collaborated with me on all of Cosmos' complex gold knotwork designs.
I have a Baby Lock Ellegante so she asked me if I could embroider it. Originally I was going to do it all as fills in two shades of gold, but I was simultaneously busting ass to finish my Kuja costume and running very short on time. So, I came up with an alternative solution: satin-stitched linework filled in with Jacquard Lumiere paints. I did the same substitute on Kuja's gold capelet trim. This saved me a LOT of time and, funny enough, it probably came out a lot better than if it had been done as pure embroidery.
This photo just shows the linework embroidery. You can sort-of see the finished product in the group photo in my Kuja gallery ( http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2952469/big/ ). For the record, two of those designs (the neck straps) are upside down in the photo because that's just how I had to arrange them in the embroidery hoop.
I found a rip of the game model's texture, blew it up in Photoshop, and traced over all the gold designs with the pen tool to create adjustable vectors. I worked with Midnight Rocket to try and estimate the proper sizing, and proportionalized it as best I could based on the Nomura artwork, model renders, and the dimensions of the physical dress. I generated raster art at 1:1 scale and (I think) 3mm line width then broke it all up into chunks that were somewhat logical and would fit within a 12"x7" embroidery field. The stitch-outs were all done on white quilting-weight cotton sateen. To keep it all uniform, I hooped it all with the weave running vertically with respect to the direction of each design. (The surface texture of cotton sateen shows through fabric paint very nicely and it actually looks similar to a fine embroidery fill. Some people were fooled at first glance!)
It was impossible to tell what was going on across Cosmos' ass because her hair covers it all in the model and the texture rip stopped just past the side of the hip. I just made something up by mirroring and repeating part of the hip design.
I mailed the finished embroidery off to Midnight Rocket with directions on how to assemble the pieces into a final design, and I provided template images as a painting guide. She filled the designs in with Lumiere, put them all together into a giant applique, cut away the excess fabric, added cabochon gems, and tacked it down to the dress.
KnightJeran posted on 06-07-2011 at 08:17 PM:
These look really impressive!
Copyright 2002-2018 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.