Making the top from scratch
For the top, I looked at a lot of different fabrics, both in person and online, trying to find something that had that home-spun, almost primitive look to it. Every single fabric I looked at was too finely woven and too uniform. I went as far as to look into woven placemats and hand-made scarves from Thailand, but couldn't find anything I was completely happy with. So I decided to make the fabric from scratch. I started by knitting a based in roughly the shape of Dany's top, first with a thick brown/gray tweed yarn, and then a second time with a sock-weight tweed yarn, as the first knit up far too puffy and bulky. I knit it on large gauge needles, and used a drop-stitch pattern at irregular intervals, to increase the space between the rows. Once I finished knitting the base, I used a tapestry needle to weave random bits of yarn into the knitted loops, without worrying about being too precise or perfect. The end result doesn't exactly mimic the colors or patterns on Daenerys's top from the baby shower sequence, but (like the sandals) I felt had a Dothraki feel to it, more than any of the fabrics I had considered for the top. I braided several of the main yarns I used in the weaving into a trim for the top front edge, and the neck-ties.
Copyright 2002-2017 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.