Bucket and Paint Brush Construction
The bucket and brush were actually last minute designs (that were still in character of course) and I'm sure that those of you who watched the anime may remember what they were used for. I planned to go to a con with 2 of my friends too late before thinking about what my cosplay could be. I ended up with much less time than I needed to commit to the costume to and the convention. As a result I wasn’t ready to spend too much money on specific parts of the costume that I had no idea how to make in a small amount of time and on a budget. I still know that I could put together much better given ample time with better planning (not to say that I was unsatisfied with the result, I was actually quite happy). I do feel a bit of remorse for not managing to get or make a sword, sash and sheath as my cosplay came out much better than I anticipated it would and those would have made it much more recognizable to broader groups.
Now that I have digressed too much, the brush base was actually an old pool-stick from a gaming table we once had that I covered with brown cardboard like material cut out from a brown paper shopping bag (which I taped on). It feels as it should be something humiliating to say but I built the head of the brush without expecting it to withstand more than the day of the convention I built it for. Hurried, I threw together excess scrap material into a plastic bag for a body and covered it with a mass of white fabric. I sewed this soft mass into the shape of a brush head and hotglued white pipe-cleaners to the tip of the brush's "bristles" and to the end of the stick where the head will be attached in order to create a supportive frame. I consolidated the frantically thought up design with even more sewing which then had it better secured to the point it felt ready to be covered in plastic wrap which protected it and gave it a tighter more shaped look. The golden ferrule between the end of the stick and the head were actually made from gold colored bag ties that were hotglued on to the stick. Although it was a sloppy rush, to my surprise it held up well for the time that I risked it not to.
The bucket was some old trick-or-treat plastic bucket that I had found and covered with a paper mache mixture with Elmer’s liquid non-toxic school glue and water, I covered the bucket in hundreds of paper squares cut out from an old brown paper shopping bag and smothered it in the paper mache mix, after finishing the covering over the bucket the details were quickly drawn on with sharpie permanent brown marker. The black hoops on the barrel are black electric tape. Heh, the design was a definite speedy one thought up and crammed last second to just barely have something passable it, I was astonished at with what limited supplies I used something actually came out looking like a wooden bucket so I was all-right with that.
Copyright 2002-2018 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.