View Single Post
Unread 08-22-2005, 11:21 PM   #14
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime
I think commissioned costumes have no place in a masquerade except in the "Out of Competition" category, which many people seem to be unaware of. It's for when you want to show something off but don't want to actually compete.
For one thing, "Out of competition" isn't well-stated in the ICG guidelines. It gets a passing mention in one sentence for Fantasy and Sci-Fi competitions under the "Junior/Youth" section. So, how do people realize it is even a category?

Also, most anime cons do not have an "Out of Competition" category. The closest things I've heard about are a "fashion show" or simply no competition at all (Ushicon in Texas). "Out of Competition" for most anime cons is simply walking around at the convention in costume, not an actual event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime
As a corollary on the 'ranking' system: I've heard of some masquerade organizers forcing experienced costumers to enter as Novices just because they hadn't won many awards, which IMHO is incredibly stupid, not to mention unfair to the other (truly novice) competitors. "Competing up" (competing at a higher level than you have achieved) harms no-one but possibly yourself (you may not win an award), but "competing down" creates unfair competition for the true newbies.
The rules are being enforced to the letter. The action is perhaps stupid, but the action is technically correct. This is the problem of "the spirit vs. the letter of the law."

------

Sarcasm-hime, on your site, you define the Masquerade as follows:
"A Masquerade is the costume contest held at many fandom conventions (sci-fi, fantasy, media, anime, etc.) in which costumers show off their hard work to an audience. They may do this via a short performance such as a skit, dance number, or simple walk-on. The purpose of entering a Masquerade is to display your costume and to put on an entertaining and pleasing presentation." [Emphasis mine]

I've seen some anime masquerades allow walk-ons, but I don't find walk-ons to be particularly entertaining. I don't get the sense that many anime fandom audiences find walk-ons entertaining either by the lack of enthusiastic laudations (sometimes even silence or blank stares). I do feel that walk-ons would need to be extracted from general Masquerade proceedings and put into a separate "fashion show competition" event, which most anime cons do not do.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 08-22-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote