View Single Post
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:23 AM   #19
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
I think it's just the mentality of anime fans. They're younger and want to be entertained - which to them means skits, laughs, yaoi and the like. But those who are more interested in the costumes can appreciate a dramatic, solo walk on presentation, even if the anime audience is bored silly by it. I've seen walkons go over well at more established conventions, usually sci-fi oriented.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. It is my feeling that many anime fans want to be entertained, and anime cons are catering to them by structuring the masquerade towards skits. From a business perspective, they are doing what the majority of customers want. If the customers wanted to emphasize costumes, I think anime con management would listen.

At AnimeNEXT 2005, walk-ons were simply the "get on stage, present the costume (no special pose or music in some cases), and walk off." The audience reaction was muted. They obviously didn't care for it.

At Otakon 2005, walk-ons were put into the fashion show (which was subject to craftsmanship judging prior to this), but the fashion show was placed right after the other acts that were skit-based. I prefer this sequencing, but of course, the problem with this fashion show is that the entrants were already judged prior privately, and not judged on the stage.

Quote:
The problem with putting walk-ons to separate events is that they usually don't get the same chance to win best in show, even if their costumes are exquisite and the presentation is well thought out. It forces people into performing and falling into the "I need a skit with funny dialog" to compete, which I feel shouldn't have to be the case. It rules out a lot of solo competitors.
Current rules and structure of many anime masquerades already lean towards skits. AnimeNext 2005 Hall Cosplay competition did have a separate "Best of Weekend" separate from the masquerade, which had "Best in Show." The winners of the Hall Contest went on-stage to receive their award (as well display a picture of the costume on a screen), and if they happened to be in costume, then that would be the time the audience would see costumes up close.

Quote:
I think another issue could be in the purpose of the cosplay competition. If it's for entertainment of the skit kind (cosplay skit contest, or if 90%+ or so of the judging points come from performances, for example, and time limits are long (2-3 minutes?!)), then walk-ons have no place. If it's a competition more aimed at the costumes (costume points have a fairly large percentage, smaller time limits (<1 min)), then I think walk-ons should most definitely be allowed. The purpose of the competition should also be looked at.
I think many anime cons have more or less settled on Hall Cosplay for craftsmanship and masquerades for skits. While masquerades do have craftsmanship awards, I do think they play second fiddle to performance awards. I also think the judges for Hall Cosplay are better at paying attention to details than masquerade judges. Masquerade judges have to keep track of performance and craftsmanship, so I think they cannot judge well, unless the entrant is a walk-on. There is too much information to track. If you look at Fansview's listing of Otakon 2005 masquerade awards, the craftsmanship awards are strangely categorized, but the performance awards seemed to be more straightforward.

In addition, I have heard that some masquerades awarded craftsmanship awards to entries that had clearly inferior costumes than another entry (i.e. cardboard armor vs. fiberglass armor). So, I think masquerade judges are not equipped to handle craftsmanship judging given the implicit emphasis on the skit. I think the best costume entries end up in Hall Cosplay instead, since the judges can handle it there.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 08-23-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote