View Single Post
Unread 08-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #20
hoshikage
Zettai Cosplay Mokshiroku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol
I wholeheartedly agree with this. It is my feeling that many anime fans want to be entertained, and anime cons are catering to them by structuring the masquerade towards skits.
As I see it, the problem is more that anime fans want both stupendous costumes AND an amazing skit to go with them. This, frankly, is rather hard to deliver, especially on a consistent basis. While there are people who are skilled in both the craftsmanship and skit-writing aspects, I find that most cosplayers tend to fall more heavily toward one side or the other of the costumer vs. actor divide. (I, for example, suck at coming up with skits 90% of the time.)

Quote:
At Otakon 2005, walk-ons were put into the fashion show (which was subject to craftsmanship judging prior to this), but the fashion show was placed right after the other acts that were skit-based. I prefer this sequencing, but of course, the problem with this fashion show is that the entrants were already judged prior privately, and not judged on the stage.
There is no way to effectively judge craftsmanship from stage distance. So since the audience would be extremely bored by the craftsmanship judges examining each costume closely on stage, there is no logical way to approach the problem except to judge them privately.

Quote:
I think many anime cons have more or less settled on Hall Cosplay for craftsmanship and masquerades for skits.
You and I are clearly not attending the same cons, then. Most cons I attend either have no hall cosplay contest at all, or have one that is extremely informal and has no judging, which leaves those of us who are really interested in craftsmanship no option but to enter Masquerade and rack our brains to try and come up with a skit. This becomes increasingly difficult if for example one happens to be a solo entry...

Quote:
Masquerade judges have to keep track of performance and craftsmanship, so I think they cannot judge well, unless the entrant is a walk-on. There is too much information to track. If you look at Fansview's listing of Otakon 2005 masquerade awards, the craftsmanship awards are strangely categorized, but the performance awards seemed to be more straightforward.
This depends entirely on what con you attend. The conventions have such wildly different methods of judgng that it's really inadvisable to make such generalized statements.

Not all Masquerades will have experienced craftsmanship judges; not all Masquerades will give adequate time for the judges to do their job; not all Masquerades will even allow close-up craftsmanship judging at all. There are cons which insist on giving out craftsmanship awards despite having no judging for them, which makes no sense. This is not a generalized "you can't judge craftsmanship effectively in a Masquerade setting" problem, it's a specific implementation problem and varies from con to con.
hoshikage is offline   Reply With Quote