View Single Post
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:01 PM   #26
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshikage
Re: Costumes designed for stage performance - it's not about looking inferior close up. You don't see this as much at anime cons, granted, but at some of the ICG events, I have seen costumes that were actually multi-stage affairs, things that look at first glance to be quite normal until the moment on stage where the costumer reveals the other part of the piece. Cloaks that turn into wings or sunset skies, for example, or other pieces that transform. This sort of transformative costume is not the kind of thing that's best displayed in a hall setting.
Ah, I understand now the argument you and Saeto are presenting. The costume may be part of a special presentation to relate to a theme or message or it has special features that require it to be in action on stage.

Speaking from my own experience, when I wore the Fairy Park Statue onstage, I was on a pedestal to provide extra dramatic height and look more like a statue - and the extra height allowed the Statue to "crumble" at the end of the skit, because the wings collapsed around me as I "fell" and they would not have cleared the ground if I hadn't had that extra height boost. I did try wearing the costume in the halls later - but the overall look just wasn't as effective without the pedestal. In fact, because of the way the costume was designed, I looked shrunken, shorter than I actually am. So in some cases, there really are design cues that one makes intending all along for them to be a critical part of a stage performance.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeto
Costumes do not need a stage to show off excellent craftsmanship. Excellent craftsmanship can be seen up-close in person, but in order to gain a full appreciation of a costume, it is necessary to show it onstage to demonstrate the effectiveness of concept. Telling a workmanship judge what inspired you only goes so far.
In the examples you have given, wouldn't the presentation of the costume on stage be a performance?

Do ICG conventions and non-anime conventions give awards for performance, or are the masquerade awards for the total package (costume craftsmanship and presentation = Best in Show)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeto
Requiring a costume that gets judged for craftsmanship go onstage in a masquerade is not so the costumer can have the temporary gratification of cheers and applause. It is so the people in the audience can see the beauty behind the ideas and the creativity of concept. However, since the anime masquerades have a different audience who expects different things from the cosplayers, this point is lost on many people at anime cons. Different audience, different expectations than the Guild.
I agree with this.

----------------

Then, based on these viewpoints, I must say that anime costumes are rather "restrictive" from a creative standpoint. Few people have effectively taken an anime costume and delivered a unique presentation to highlight the outfit.

Since anime costumes remind its audience of the character, the audience probably expects the wearer to realize the character through acting, rather than focusing on the costume itself.

Only a few anime series have costumes that would offer symbolic presentations or a unique feature only fully realized when on the stage (i.e. How many ways can you uniquely present a typical ninja outfit or school outfit? Not many, I think). In addition, Guild conventions allow original costumes, so this would allow more opportunities for unique presentations or special costume features.

Thanks for explaining the premise of the Masquerade as done by non-anime conventions.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote