View Single Post
Unread 01-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #26
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoKoneko
Iv only been ripped off 5 times so far.
"Only" 5 times? That is 5 times too many. That fraud rate is very high. You have had a string of really bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoKoneko
aww wouldnt it be nice if there were honest people still left?
It just seams to me the cosplay world is starting to really attract some bad people v,v. I wish things would go back to the way it use to be.
Nice friendly happy people. Everyone so willing to help. Costume were simple and no one fought over whoms costume is the best. *sigh*
There are still honest people on the internet. However, the onus is on you to do your "due diligence" on these people. Do not take anybody's word at face value. You want to ask a lot of good questions to see if they are trying to lie to you.

My "Guide for Costume Buyers and Sellers" has ideas about questions you should ask a commissioner:
http://chudahs-corner.com/userdirs/e...ume_guide.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Selene
The first part of a costume I bought from them, about three to four years ago, was well made and of good fabric. Everything else, however, was either off in color, cheap fabric, or just smelled like smoke and had strands of black hair all over it. .....Everything she'll make will be out of fabric, even costume accessories and trims that are supposed to be metallic, like belt buckles and the like.
I commissioned a blazer and school skirt uniform over a year ago from her, and while everything came on time, the fabrics were limp (not suiting material, very wrinkly, and I'd requested sturdy material), the skirt had really small pleats while I requested for either a circle skirt or larger pleats, I could still see interfacing in the lapels when she could have finished it off, and various trims were missing.
If you have specific fabric or material preferences in mind in regards to the construction of a costume, you should inform the commissioner upfront. Otherwise, you are giving the commissioner permission to use his or her costuming expertise in determining how your costume is to be made.

This type of project really needs to be a partnership. The client needs to fully express his or her "vision" of the outfit to the commissioner. Likewise, the commissioner should listen to the client in addition to providing his or her expertise on the matter. If the client does not mention any preferences, the commissioner should ask, just so there isn't any surprises later.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 01-13-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote