View Single Post
Unread 01-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #29
larry_santello
Truth hurts.

Buyer Beware

Here's a very common "trick" that one of the aforementioned costume manufacturers frequently uses...

If a costume has been rushed, and shows many such mistakes as puckering, uneven stitches, inaccurate colors, inappropriate materials, ineven cut or general sloppyness, they might ship it so it arrives only days before the scheduled event that it was planned for. They say that they will gladly make corrections and alterations, as requested by a customer, but if there are only 5 days until the convention, many customers won't have the time to do so.

It is ESSENTIAL to be firm with a costume maker, and press them for a date. You don't have to be overbearing, but you have to let them know that you are taking the contract between you and them very seriously. Let them know that you will not accept a breach of that contract. If they know you're game, a commissioner may be less inclined to play dirty cards.

If the designer has a tendency to "disappear" during questionable periods of time, it should be an indicator that you need to find a new commission service. Isn't it odd that certain designers suddenly lose their email and internet access every time several customer deadlines approach, or are missed, but during that exact same time they are able to post photos of their own personal projects on the cosplay.com gallery?

Buyers, PLEASE beware! There are many conscientious skilled costume commission services available, which are still affordable. Be sure to shop around, ask questions, and read reviews before spending your hard earned money. Support the good costume makers, and let the questionable ones fade out.