View Single Post
Unread 10-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
starcat
The Third Hire

Curl Tutorial

This is a tutorial for making corkscrew, sausage, barrel, or spiral curls on wigs using Got2b Glued hair spiking glue, silky extensions, a lot of patience and a bit of time. Original post follows below:
----
Sure! I actually just finished making another curl with my method and it turned out beautifully.

The method, in full:

1. Sew a set of extensions into your wig where you want the curl to start, like in Katie Bair's Parting for Ponytails tutorial. For most people this will be on the side somewhere, for me, it was at the top. DO NOT use the exact method unless you want very small curls. You need the length of the extensions to make those curls, and trust me, they need a lot of length. Keep a "tail" (like you're sewing) of about an inch or two, but not much longer. There should be a sort of unicorn-horn mohawk thingy on the inside of your wig when you're done.

2. Seal the extensions from the inside. Unless you want super-wide curls, you shouldn't have more than one heat sealer's worth of hair. There's not usually enough pointy bits left to irritate your head either. Heat sealers (also known as braid sealers) can be bought from Katie Bair, or many beauty supply stores.

3. Comb the extension hair, then smooth it down with Got2b Glued. Use lots! This will keep your curl together and looking beautiful. Don't worry if the hair's not perfectly straight and together, this helps to make it look more natural. It shouldn't look tangly, though, or else your curl will look tangly. Work in sections at a time. Four inches seemed to be the right amount for me, but you could probably go faster with more Got2b at a time.

4. Pin the hair around a form. I used a basic Styrofoam cone covered in painter's tape, but you could use anything that you can pin to. T-pins might be more useful in this case, but ball-headed quilting pins work quite well. If you have trouble with the ends, just use more pins. Don't be afraid to pin within the hair!

5. Leave it alone and wait for it to dry. You might be able to hurry the process along with a hair dryer, but it's better to be patient. You cannot start the sewing until the curl is done! I left mine alone for two days, but it would probably be done within four to eight hours.

6. Detach the curl from the form. It won't look like much. Try to sort of form it into the shape it was to make sure you know what you want it to look like.

7. Use a small sewing needle and clear thread. (I've used white in this case to help show it better.) Tie a decent-size knot at one end of the thread. Pick a side of the curl to start from(I recommend the bottom, get it over with early: I picked the top for this tutorial and regretted it.), and make a few loops on the "ribbon" of hair starting from the inside. (This is where using more Got2b rather than less really helps!) Cross and go under the loops a few times for extra support.

8. Sew down (or up) the "ribbon" with a basic running stitch. Try to make sure at least two or three stitches are on each level of the curl so they don't move around. When you reach the end of a ribbon, make one "in" stitch towards the inside of the curl, and the next "out" stitch will be on the next level. The length of this stitch is how far apart your curl will be!

9. Continue down (or up) the rest of the curl.

10. Once you reach the bottom, tie it off like you did the top. (Or vice versa.) Clip the ends, and you're done with this side.

11. Repeat on the opposite side. You should only need two threads to keep a curl together in the proper shape. It's a bit easier on the second side, just try to keep the spacing the same.

12. If desired, stitch the top level or two of the curl to the side of the wig. This helps keep it in place.

And you're done! It's not hard and it really doesn't take too long at all. It might not work as well with darker extensions, but I haven't tested it.

It doesn't show up much in pictures (close up), and probably wouldn't show up at all from a distance. This is a picture where I was trying to get a picture of the thread. You sacrifice a little bit of close-up beauty, but the curls move very naturally and keep their shape. Plus, if anything went wrong at a con or photoshoot, they would be easy and quick to fix.

I hope this is clear enough. It's my first tutorial, so if there's any explanation needed, just ask.

EDIT, Nov. 2010: Wow! So many people have used my tutorial since I wrote it four years ago! I love seeing people's wigs that they made with this method (modified or not), especially since I no longer do wig work myself. If you make a wig using this, please PM me a photo of your finished product!

There is also a set for the photos on my Flickr account, with brief descriptions: http://www.flickr.com/photos/babelgl...7625317739007/

Last edited by starcat : 11-22-2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Fixed photo links.
starcat is offline   Reply With Quote