View Single Post
Unread 07-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #289
KurzesHaar
Nemo nisi mors

Name of Commissioner: Lillyxandra
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.firefly-path.net/

Character commissioned and series/video game: Sun Shang Xiang from Dynasty Warriors 5, whole costume

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: The items she sent me:http://www.firefly-path.net/gallery/...Com/comm60.php what I had to remake myself:http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1138770

Timeline: I emailed her in July of 2006 and made the first payment (1/3 of the total cost) after we had agreed on the price. My deadline was by AUSA in mid November 2006, but I gave her a date in the beginning of Nov to make sure it got here on time. She shipped it to me a week after AUSA.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: In the original email she sent me back, she said she would have no problem completing the costume by my deadline and we agreed on a price considering she was going to do embroidery on the costume, as well as some painted details. She only asked me for a few measurements (bust, waist, hips, height, that's it!) but I sent a long a few extras to ensure a proper fit. I asked her in many emails if she ever needed more measurements and she said no.
I hadn't heard a thing from her by the beginning of October, so I sent her an email asking about the progress and when she wanted me to send the second 1/3 of the payment and reminding her my deadline was in a month. She said she was progressing on it well and that I could send the payment.
On November 1st I emailed her again and she responded saying the costume was basically finished except for a few minor details and she would be sending it out soon and asked me to send the final payment. I did and asked her to email me when she'd sent the costume out. I didn't hear from her until November 12th when she said she would be sending the costume out soon. It arrived about a week after the convention and didn't fit at all.
The pants were way too tight (aka couldn't fit them on) and when I held them up to me, the pants went to my ankles when they're supposed to be capri pants that end right below the knee! I had to remake the pants myself and only used the top portion which she had store bought anyway. The top was also way too tight around my hips, but too big around my bust and was made without the slits in the front and side, which luckily made the top fit after I cut those out, but I had to tailor the top to fit my bust. The black shirt underneath was also store bought and not particularly accurate. The headband was originally about 5 inches wide, and my forehead is definately not that large XD.
Also, almost everything was painted on, not embroidered.
Overall, I remade half of the costume, using my own materials and got no money back, and didn't receive it on time, even though I wouldn't have been able to wear it anyway. The craftsmenship of the costume was fairly decent, but the measurements were waaaaay off (I'm apparantly 6 ft tall, with 28" hips, and 38" bust...)

Final Grade: D+
KurzesHaar is offline   Reply With Quote