View Single Post
Unread 07-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Desse
Adepta Sororitas

I got "How to Make Sewing Patterns" by Donald H. McCunn. It's pretty basic, but decent. The first section is how to make a sloper to your measurements (which I skipped. The Big4 all have sloper patterns you can get and alter to fit you perfectly- giving you the added benefit of knowing exactly what alterations you need when using a pattern from that company.)

The second section, however, was the most useful for me when I was getting started, since it deals with how to alter patterns. Changing seam locations, darts, adding or removing fullness, and how to make different types of necklines and collars.

The third section deals with design elements of garments, like the fullness in a skirt, plackets, pockets, cuffs, sleeves, etc. etc.

The instructions for how to make a dress form are pretty crappy- a duct tape dummy is much better, but I liked the book overall and still refer to it sometimes.
Rule #104- Our loyal and honorable members of the Adeptes Astartes are to be referred to as Space Marines, not "Spam in a can"
2008 Costumes
Human form Homura from Karas - Adjusting the pattern
Super Secret Costume Con 2009 masquerade entry - Planning
40K Commissar - Planning

Desse is offline   Reply With Quote