View Single Post
Unread 03-11-2008, 04:20 AM   #30
Garuda_Aiacos
Waitin 4 Behemoth Violate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuldig_ View Post
I've noticed that there are quite a few LotR cosplayers around, but no thread for them... so why not make one? I thought it could be fun to know a few things about you, such as:
The original LOTR Thread is almost 3 years old since the last post:
Lord of the Rings

I had been doing LOTR Costuming since 2002 now and still doing it, looking around for materials and trimming, tho' my target now is to complete most of my costumes and Armors in time for the next movies release. Been trying to revive the LOTR Costumes Team here but we all got a little sidetracked with other costumes the past 2 years tho' we forsee a revival in time for The Hobbit movie release. Most had confirmed their involvement.

1. Do you cosplay as certain characters from the book/the movies, or do you have an OC?

I had done Arwen, Eowyn, Haldir and Ringwraith No. 2 ("I should be in charge!" ) so far and for the first 3, am still working on some of their other outfits and itching to redo my Ringwraith Outfit.

For Original Character, I have one and she is the Captain of the Eastern Borders Marchwardens of Lothlorien. She pretty Tomboy, having grown up tailing her brother most of the time while living at Lindon and Rivendell. Doesn't help too when Lady Galadriel choose to make her the 2nd person in charge with the Lothlorien Marchwardens, right below her brother. As for her race, it's pretty rojak (messed-up) as she seems to have all the bloodline of the Elves Races except the Sindar Elves!
I had so far roughly created 4 Outfits for her with one of them got its materials at hand.

2. What got you into the fandom and when did you start cosplaying from it?

Some time in 2002, my Star Wars friends recommended that we repeat the success of our SW Costumes Parade cum AOTC Movie Screening with LOTR. That got me picking up the books that my elder brother gotten for my younger brother (who doesn't read ), watching FOTR and doing research online for the costumes I'm interested in. Don my first LOTR Costume in 2003 and since then it had been a long-time addiction, just like with my SW and Harry Potter Costuming Hobby. Never stop "working" on the costumes and armors with half of my cloths stash is meant for LOTR Costumes.

Love the books (and that include the rest like The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The Hobbit, HoME etc) and love how the movie had turned out.
Strangely, The Silmarillion is my favourite book.

3. The movies - what do you think? Great inspiration or totally off?

I see each medium having its own Pros and Cons.

I feel that PJ and Co. had done a good job adapting the books to the movies that will please even the regular movie goers and turning non-fans into LOTR Fanatics. Feel that he had made the correct decision in elimination certain characters or redoing certain scenes in order to make the movie less cheezy and "redeeming" others at the end like Glorfindel (but he's too young looking! :P ). I also prefer Aragorn in the movies than in the books.

The Costumes and Props Department had also done a GREAT job with the items, putting in a good amount of historical influences to give the movies a "Real-Life" feelings without making anything too cheezy (ugh! I kinda hate some of the outfits used for the LOTR Musical). I was amazed when I get to examine the original costumes and props before packing them, at how "like real" the things are like Anduril is a fully balanced sword while the Kings of Men Crowns or Rohirrim Helmets are real Bronze etc.

Anyhow, the movies was what inspired me to pay more attentions to materials and methods in the contruction of my costumes, apart from making me a LOTR Fan.

4. Any particular race (Elf, Hobbit, Man...) you prefer cosplaying? Why?

I usually go for Elves when I do LOTR Costuming as their characteristic is what I love.

Maybe that's why I love The Silmarillion as it's mostly the story of the Elves.

Btw, the LOTR Costuming Fandom never did die; if it had been the case, LOTR_Costume Mailing List would had been dead for months at a go. The Website is in need of updates tho but I understand Cat got a lot more RL issues to settle. Had been holding back some of my contributions to a later date when she's free again to update the website.
Garuda_Aiacos is offline   Reply With Quote