View Single Post
Unread 07-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #56
Diefbaby

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
I own an ancient White machine that belonged at one time to my mother. She was given it by my grandfather in the early 1970's when my older sister was little. I also own a Janome Sew Mini that I purchased in 2007.

2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?
White machine - early 1970's
Janome - 2007

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
My mother taught me to sew when I was about 8. I made a few things but around 2000 started cosplaying and making costumes. I now make all my costumes and make doll clothes on commission. I currently also work for an industrial sewing company making uniforms.

4) what do you like most about the machine?
The White machine is a total workhorse that so far has handled everything I've been able to throw at it. It's starting to show its age and needs a tune up but it still runs fantastic.
The Janome machine is nice for a beginner as it has limited settings. It can only do a straight or a zig-zag stitch. It's portable as well.

5) what do you not like?
The White machine is housed in a sewing cabinet currently so it isn't portable at all.
The Janome machine isn't very good with small pieces of fabric.

6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
Yes, to both machines. Both have their good points and bad points like every machine.

I'm also in the market for a serger for home use. I'm thinking of going with the White brand because I've read good reviews of them. Does any one have recommendations?

If you're gonna break the rules, break 'em good and hard!-Granny Weatherwax
Diefbaby is offline   Reply With Quote