View Single Post
Unread 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
sklathill
Evident Maniac

Yeah. My old (old!) 3 megapixel camera pumped out stuff at 2048 x 1536, which is just slightly more than the new high-end standard for monitors, which is 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200. Still, one rarely gets pixel level detail because of the way sensors and demosaicing work. If you want pixel level detail, you're either resizing down or you've got a foveon based camera (Sigma brand). Me, I'm happy with how much better my 10 megapixel images look when resized down to web viewing compared to ye olde 4 megapixel from back in the day...

Back to the megapixels... you can't get a 6 megapixel camera anymore. Looking through salescircular.com, the only $100 dollar cameras available are either 8 or 9 megapixel. We can't get less megapixels unless we go specifically for an older, refurbished or used model.

For me, it's less about rules of thumb like less megapixels and more about camera A being better than camera B. The vast majority of cameras out there are me-too cameras. Some $150 Fuji is basically the same as some other $150 Olympus is the same as some other $150 Pentax. And then you have good ranges of cameras, like the Fujifilm Finepix F series which are pretty similar to other stuff... but they have that awesome sensor which makes them markedly better than the competition in low light. Or the Panasonic LX3 which has a good sensor coupled with a unique and awesome zoom lens. Or the Canon A series which is similar to the competition, but generally gives much more and easier to get to photographic control... plus the option of custom firmware to make that thing really fun to play with.

Okay, now I'm rambling. But anyways, when someone asks me for a rec, I ask him what he wants, then I tell him, "Get _this_ camera." The way I see it, there really are only a few cameras out there that address specific needs. Most of the stuff out there is: just a camera.
Freelance freelancer: music composing, writing, photographing, and gaming for slightly less than an eternity...