View Single Post
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Working on fluency...
Pretty good so far right? Now for the smaller, cylindrical parts of the screw. Take a PVC pipe (I used a 3/4" interior diameter, but as always, whatever you deem fit) and cut two small lengths of it: a short, perhaps an inch or so long, length for the part of the screw thread that is adjacent to the screw head itself; and a somewhat longer (2.5 inches perhaps) section for the end of the screw that will implicitly be coming out of the other side of your head. I have the longer section pictured; I forgot to take a picture of the other one:
Take a small rectangular strip of the plastic and wrap it around the inside of the PVC pipe, cutting it down to length such that it just barely fits:
Measure how long that strip is and remember it. Then, cut out a plastic rectangle with the length being that of the PVC section, and the width being that of the strip you just measured. Obviously, do this for both PVC sections:

Put the plastic piece on the interior of the pipe:
Then, glue strips of craft foam to the interior of the polystyrene cylinder until the interior diameter is small enough so that the handle of the noisemaker (or the rod of the arrow-through-head prop for the opposite, longer side) snugly fits. Note that you are not gluing the polystyrene or craft foam to the PVC pipe itself.
Now push the styrene/foam amalgam out of the PVC pipe, and voilą! Instant cylinders, which look pretty slick, I might add:
Here's a picture of how the cylinder fits onto the screw head:

You might be asking why I didn't simply start with the PVC section itself and add craft foam to the inside of that. Well, the answer is that the PVC adds more weight to the end product than the styrene / craft foam does. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist, so I suppose that can be attributed to it as well. xD

Anyway, on the end of the screw there is a sort of dovetail groove on it. To get this effect, I glued an extra piece of styrene around the screw tail. Here's a picture of the pattern I used:
And here is the finished product:

Almost done now! The next step is to connect the screw head and tail to the arrow-through-head prop. First, I went ahead and cut off the ends of the arrow itself, since we wont be needing it. I also cut the handle of the noisemaker down to size a bit:
In my case, the handle and rod diameters were such that when I cut off the end of the handle, the rod could actually slip right into the noisemaker handle and into the head of the screw! I used the short plastic cylinder as a medium between the two. As for the screw tail, remember that I added enough craft foam to the inside of the cylinder so that the rod would fit tightly. Here's a picture:

Of course, this should all be glued together with thermal adhesive or something else strong, so that there's no chance of it coming apart. Make sure that when you're gluing the screw head combination that you don't accidentally glue the plastic cylinder to the screw head itself; remember that you still want to be able to turn the screw so that it clicks! Next, measure the diameter of the screw tail, cut out a polystyrene circle of that diameter, and glue it onto the end of the tail, like so:

Awesome. Now the only part left is the paint! I used spray paint because it's easy, uniform, and looks great! First, start with a gray or black primer:
If you want to know why you should use primer, go here:

For the final coats, I used a mixture of semi-gloss black spray paint, and silver spray paint. First I gave it a couple coats of the black, and then lightly sprayed the silver (i.e. not a full coat). This gives it sort of a dark metal look: not bright silver, and yet not pitch black either. I think it turned out rather nice! Here's a picture (sorry for the blurriness):
Here are some pics of the screw on me!

And there you have it, how to make Stein's screw. Hopefully this will be helpful; if you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask! -Nick

Last edited by Link-Jun : 01-14-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Fixing links
Link-Jun is offline   Reply With Quote