View Single Post
Unread 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
Gravely

so, I had a very quick reaction to all the comments about turning over my hem.
I thought I might be nuts, so I wrote a few folks that have workmanships judged and asked them.
here was the consensus.

The workmanship judge had better be able to know enough to know what the insides look like FROM the OUTSIDE

if the overall sewing seems really well done, wasting times on hems that look FINE from outside is, well, a waste of time. Especially when
a- time is crunched
b- there are so many cool things on the costume, that sometimes at the cc level we assume you can properly hem a skirt.( depending on skill division)

we can tell pretty soon, what the level of the skill of a costumer is when they walk up to us. and I would bet that plenty of hems got looked at because that was the only thing TO look at.

I hope this makes sense.

It's so nice to see that workmanship is so important to so many people now, when it used to be such an afterthought, and not an every convention thing.

and my comments are just for the SF/F. I assume all seams are important in the historical, since you have to reproduce period techniques so often

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote