View Single Post
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #1553
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Name of Commissioner: Lavendar Spikes/Stephanie Hunter
Website/C.com gallery: http://lavenderspikes.livejournal.com/
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Kaya, Node of Scherzo. Entire outfit (petticoat, hat, bustle, skirt, top)
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/179322/ (will post the cosplay being worn when I get my wig and contacts)
Timeline (how long your order took to process): mid-December to April 10, 2010
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: Steph was one of several commissioners I contacted about this cosplay and was the only one to actually reply. Her initial email was very detailed about what she would do for me and how much everything would be; she showed a great deal of integrity about basically copying a well-known lolita brand (which I didn’t know the outfit was until further research after the fact). Her devotion to the fashion and her knowledge of it made me confident to commission her. I sent the first payment in mid-December and waited until it got closer to my due date (April 5-10). Around late January/early-February I emailed her to ask how everything was going. She said she hadn’t started yet (which honestly made me nervous because I personally start on things waaaaay in advance to be sure I get done on time without driving myself insane), but she was telling me her ideas for how to do some parts and what she could use. I let a few more weeks go by. I emailed her again, this time in March, and didn’t hear back for almost a week; I was getting really nervous about that, but just as I was about to email her again she’d beaten me to it and said how far along she was (which was surprisingly far). After a few more email exchanges she said she was done and just needed to get it all in a box to ship. After she said she shipped it, I waited a day or two to ask about the tracking number she said she’d give me. I didn’t hear anything back at all. Finally, on the last day I gave her as my deadline (April 10) I received the box. Everything was neatly packed despite being many things in one relatively small box, along with handwritten care instructions. I jumped into it immediately to try it all on. I was pleasantly surprised to see that everything fit perfectly and was just the right length. One big concern I did have was if I’d be able to lift my arms without making the top ride up; I’m very happy to say that it didn’t and I can flail around all I want and not show any skin I don’t want to. The netting she warned me is especially delicate, although it shouldn’t come out. I just have to really watch myself when getting it on and off so I don’t mess it up. The skirt came to just the right length (another thing I was worried about as I didn’t want it to be short [I usually hate skirts of any kind] and not too long either as it would ruin the effect) and I especially love the little details she put on the bottom like the ruffle and the rose lace. Everything is super easy to put on and take off without too much assistance from anyone else. The main parts of the outfit are 100% durable cotton, so cleaning is pretty much a no-brainer, and the tulle and lacey parts she was sure to go into detail with on cleaning.
Final Grade: A. There were times when emails either went unanswered or took days to be replied to (even my final email praising her work and how happy I was with the finished product), but Steph was sure to include numerous pictures of the costume before expecting the final payment along with detailed emails about what she was doing, what I wanted on certain things, and what was left to complete. If she decides to start doing commissions again I would definitely recommend her to anyone looking for a lolita-esque cosplay.

Note: I'll try and post links to pictures of the actual outfit worn by Kaya if I can find them again.
Stormraven24 is offline   Reply With Quote