View Single Post
Unread 06-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #1641
Angry Bartender
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
Thumbs down Costume worth the low price, not the trouble.

Name of Commissioner: Princess Snowglobing Cosplay

Website/ gallery: gallery:
Facebook fanpage:!/pages/In-...xpipe=1&__a=27
Deviantart account:

Character commissioned and series/video game: Byakuya Kuchiki of Bleach

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Complete Costume (minus the wig, sandals/socks and hair pieces. No sword.)
Will update with closer detail shots later.

Timeline (how long your order took to process):
Commission Date: February 07, 2010 discounted at $30
Measurements Given: March 1, 2010
Mailed: June 08, 2010
Received main costume: June 15,2010
Waiting on the gloves/scarf/white shirt in the mail supposedly as of June 21st with a full refund in the mail. I don't plan on cashing it. Writing up a thank you letter once received.
Full costume due before Anime Boston 2010, April 2-4th. NO FINAL PRODUCTION DATE WAS GIVEN. Dates were constantly changing, she'd make a commitment and back out on it at the last minute with an excuse of some sort. Constantly being rubber-banded.

Describe your Experience -

It started with me telling one of my friends that I wanted to crossplay Byakuya, but after surfing around the net I didn't have enough money to commission a costume at full price. After a few days, my friend talked to me again and told me that Cary of PrincessSnowGlobing was willing to make the full outfit for a discounted price. My friend gave me her AIM address and I waited for the opportunity to message her.

Contact through AIM:
February 07: Spoke with PrincessSnowglobing's leader for the first time online, had ordered a costume from her previously a few years back and was pleased with it. My friend recommended her. She was willing to make the costume at a discounted price because it was for a school project for one of her college classes. I was skeptical on it at first, unsure of what the quality would be, but decided to send her a check because I had heard good reviews about her. I was never given a final production date.

I almost never saw her online on AIM, though it was my preferred mode of contact. I happened to notice that PrincessSnowglobing was on deviantART, so I decided to contact her there. From the beginning, I was never given any sort of solid contact information, and I was usually always the one to contact her and get updates.

Contact through deviantART:
March 1st: Sent her my measurements.
March 11th: Scheduled a meeting to get better measurements and try on parts of the costume. Rescheduled to next Friday because of the weather and work. Started to notice that some scheduling was becoming disorganized on her part. I decided to just go with it.
Shedding doubt on the costume:
March 18th: Tried on parts of my costume for the first time, the pants and coat. She seemed excited to work on the costume, we went out to eat and talked quite a bit. She assured me several times that the costume would be completed in time for Anime Boston.
My follow up message:
Visited her again sometime during the end of March to try on the shirt/pants/coat.
Getting closer to the con:
April 1st: Arranged to meet her at her dorms. Costume looked relatively the same as it did when I last visited. Ended up working on the costume myself while she continued to work on other outfits she needed to finish before tomorrow. I hand drew and painted all of the symbols on the haori captain's coat (squad six mark on back and circles/slashes on the coat tail) with black fabric paint. After that, I assisted in embroidering a headband for someone else's costume because I was worried that my costume wouldn't be finished if I didn't help out some. Around 7 pm, the rest of the PrincessSnowGlobing crew arrived and they set to work on their D.Gray-man costumes to finish for tomorrow. The pants needed to be majorly hemmed at the bottom and were dragging on the floor, the shirt needed to be hemmed, the coat needed to be hemmed and a split in the coat tail. The gloves weren't made yet and I hadn't seen the scarf much nor knew how long it was. She once again assured me that, despite unfinished appearances, it would be finished in time for the convention tomorrow.

The Convention:
April 2nd: Arrived at the convention with no costume at 9 am. Got the run around with little to no communication on PrincessSnowglobing's part on Friday, using every form of communication I had available to me (phone and text, and calling other people who might know where they were). Waited around to see if I could get a response, didn't want to go into the convention without a costume, spent most of my time complaining and being upset. Saw Cary already in one of her costumes but without mine, apologizing and informed me that they left the scarf and gloves in the car. She would fix it up later, hopefully that night. Managed to find one of their members carrying around my uncompleted costume around 3 pm. I thanked him and went to go try it on. Everything except the gloves and scarf were there, I needed them for the Bleach photo-shoot and ended up not going on Friday because the shoot was at 4 pm.

Let's just say the costume was worth $30, if that. The quality was shoddy and clearly rushed, being the day of/before the con. Not everything was hemmed, and the parts that were hemmed had many loose threads and fringing that it had the tendency to get caught on things. The linen pants were my biggest worry, dragging on the floor of the Hynes Convention Center. It ran risk of getting caught inside an escalator several times, tripping over it, other people and collecting dirt. My secondary worry was that several parts of the costume still had pins and needles in it, some in unnecessary places, unknown to me until further inspection in the bathroom. The friend that had recommended PrincessSnowGlobing to me was with me at the time came into my stall and was shocked to see it in the condition it was in, telling me that Cary was capable of much better work. I was surprised as well, knowing that the seamstress had told me she was excited to work on it, and was one of the reasons she gave me the huge discount. Pros about the costume were that it was passable enough for people to recognize as the character. It was also very breathable, a nice linen fabric and it wasn't all that heavy on my body weight wise. Great, considering it was April and damned hot outside.

Myself and a few other people went to the hotel room that PrincessSnowGlobing was staying in, and they were busy working on their D.Gray-man costumes and practicing for their skit for the masquerade. I had a hard time bringing up the fact that my costume was unfinished and would at least like the pants to be hemmed to fit. I asked her to please retrieve my scarf and gloves from the car, I didn't much expect them, but I needed them for the next Bleach photoshoot on Saturday.

April 3rd: Bought the straw sandals and tabi for my costume in the dealers room, soon regretted it later as my feet needed to break them in. Had to call my friend who was doing the D.gray-man skit with them and was busy working on her own costume. I walked all the way across the Prudential Center (quite a walk, mind you, took me 15 minutes walking slow) to find out that they didn't get a chance to get my scarf/gloves and I was under the impression that they did. Asked several times for them. Did not receive scarf and gloves in time for the photoshoot. Walked all the way back to the convention. Pros were that despite being unfinished, I was claimed to be the most accurate likeness to the character at the convention.

April 4th: Not much to say about the costume here. Cary inquired from my friend if I was upset, and apologized to me about the whole mess. She told me that she would "completely redo the costume the way it was supposed to be" and throw in a bonus plushie for my troubles. I felt her apology was sincere and honest, and I forgave her then; saying that I didn't expect her to but as long as the costume was touched up some I was ok.

Despite the huge run around at the convention and being upset on Friday, I had a good time and came out of it in a good mood. Surprisingly.

April 18th: Messaged on dA, inquiring about my costume's progress.

Continued below...
arcanavicarious is offline