View Single Post
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #130
HeartHetalia
Handmade Cosplay

My Machine~!

1) What Machine do you own?
I have a Brother XL-3200
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?
It's pretty old I guess. I think my parents got it as a gift a long time ago and I just stole it when I took up sewing cause it wasn't doing anything but sitting in the laudry room collecting dust. Plus, why buy a new sewing machine when this one's free?
3) How much sewing experience do you have?
I don't really know. Been sewing for about two years now. Not many would guess it with how "skilled" some of my stuff comes off as. I just really know how to shine crap.
I can do basics and make some rather basic outfits (That look like hard work). But I'll always challenge myself. Done some pretty "advanced" stuff and that was pretty easy. Maybe an Advanced Intermediate?
4) what do you like most about the machine?
It gets the job done. Not too fancy and GREAT for starters. I came in with zero experience with a machine and had my first constructed piece about a month later (it didn't fit, but that's seam allowance problems, not the machine.) It has some good stitches that work for cheapo serging for those who don't want a serger (or can't afford it like me!) and it's easy to work with. Plus, it holds up well with layers. I still give it props for going through all those layers to sew my Russia coat.
5) what do you not like?
This could just be the age of it or something I'm not getting, but I HATE that I have to pull the fabric through. It's not a hard pull but enough to leave my thumbs hurting from the side of my nail digging in after taking in a shirt. I see some sewing machines out there where you don't even have to touch the fabric, just press the pedal and it zooms right through. I'd like that.
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
Meh, it's good to get the job done and great for beginners but I personally want a better one anyway. If you're just starting, it's perfect. If not, don't waste your money. Get a better one. Plus, it's so old, and with all the new technology out there, you can find SOO many better sewing machines. Do they even sell this model anymore? lol

Finished:
Russia (Hetalia: Axis Powers)
Alucard (Hellsing)

Future:
Something Final Fantasy
Mugen (Samurai Champloo)
Kuronue (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Last edited by HeartHetalia : 07-27-2010 at 11:37 PM.
HeartHetalia is offline   Reply With Quote