View Single Post
Unread 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #46
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_helix View Post
My best advice is don't get caught up on features. Most sewing machines on the market simply advertise based on how many functions it can do. For example, I was channel surfing just a few days ago came across a shopping channel segment on a high end sewing machine, which I watched out of curiousity. The whole sales pitch was basically "Look at how much stuff it does!" Most of it's "cool features" would only be used every once in a blue moon by even a proflic sewer, and many of those are just "lazy" versions of things than can be done with a more basic sewing machine or by hand (which sometimes, honestly, is better).

Excuse the rant. tl;dr: bells and whistles do not a good sewing machine make.
Follow this advice.

In truth, the bells and whistles of a machine are features that are rarely used. It's going to come down to you testing the machines (if a store will let you) and asking the employees and other customers what they use/think works best. Don't go for the shiniest model because it may not work for your needs.

My machine? The Shark Eruo Pro X Dressmaker. $14.98 at Target. Feel free to make fun of it. I needed something small, portable, and able to perform simple sewing tasks, and that's what it does. I have many more years of experience with hand sewing, so for me this was a good starting machine, and it hasn't let me down yet. Sometimes it surprises me (like working with stretchy fabric)! Just look at all the stuff I made in my profile. XD Though I still feel vastly more comfortable hand sewing my work, having this baby around helps when I need it to.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote