View Single Post
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #141
B.O.M.
Bank of Mom

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please! I've got a Singer 503A in a cabinet that was my mom's. It was made in 1961 and makes the prettiest button holes. My mom almost didn't give it to because of that. I also have a Brother SE270D Embroidery Machine. My teenagers have their own portable machines (Janome, but I can't remember the model right now).
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? The Singer 503A was made in 1961; the Brother SE270D was purchased in 2005.
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are) I'm in my 40s and my mom taught me to sew when I was very young (she was taught to sew when she was 3 or 4). When I was about 11, I took a sewing class at a local Singer Sewing Center and later during HomeEc, I made 8 outfits when the rest of the class was still on their 1st or 2nd. I took a fairly long break from sewing though & played with stained glass. Since returning to sewing, I've made hakama & haori for a Bleach costume, a lined captains jacket (also from Bleach), jodhpurs & military style jacket for APH, a silk mini dress for Suessical, and a corset & skirt for Lulu (Final Fantasy X). The Lulu costume is still in the works. And I still have my best resource - my mom - to call on.
4) what do you like most about the machine? The 503A I like because it's like an old friend. It sews beautifully (and still has all the original attachments BTW). I bought the Brother to play with machine embroidery. I like it, but wish I had waited for a different machine. I also use the machines my mom has (she currently has 2 regular machines, 1 serger and one that is connected to a quilt rack for machine quilting).
5) what do you not like? It's harder to do close work like sleeves since the 503A is set in the cabinet.
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer? If one could find one in excellent condition, yes.

Kayle (IntoxicatedPeng) - Drocell Keinz (Kuroshitsuji), Yuki Onna (Nurarihyon no Mago), 8th Doctor (Doctor Who), Soul Eater Evans (Soul Eater), Lucy (Fairy Tail) - Also attending Gallifrey One 25
Mara - Lulu (FFX), adult Nel (Bleach), Hagoromo Gitsune (Nurarihyon no Mago) WITH Baby Moogle, Trystan
Me - Mary Poppins, The Woman (Doctor Who, The End of Time), Sibylline Sisterhood (Doctor Who)

Photos
DA
Blog
B.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote