View Single Post
Unread 01-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Basic Camera Technique

The title says it all.
Stability is the key:

if you're standing straight, both feet planted firmly about shoulder width apart, the foot of your dominant eye nearest your subject you have a good start.
Imagine shooting a bow or a rifle. The aiming technique is identical.

Hold your camera firmly, but not in a death-grip.
Relax your shoulders and upper arms. Tension will cause you to shake and get fatigued.

Press the shutter release with your finger tip by just bending at the knuckle. Moving your entire finger can move the camera.... that can ruin your shot.

Oh yes... don't forget to breathe... I know, it sounds silly. But if you hold your breath for a few seconds your pulse will rise, causing your camera to move in perfect rhythm with your now bounding heart rate.

A little practice and this stuff becomes second nature.
Here's a vid by one of my favourite shooters. He covers much the same thing for those who can't endure walls of text, have /ADD/ADHD/ are impatient.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3...eature=related

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa

Last edited by tfcreate : 01-12-2011 at 11:26 PM.
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote