View Single Post
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #5867
RoseHanabira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naffisnevercool View Post
Okay! So basically everything is done except the boot covers and the brooches and I'm pretty darn proud of it since it's my first 'real' cosplay. I've never really thought so in-depth about a project before (or stuck with something with such dedication) and I think I did a pretty good job:

Sailor Uranus Front
Sailor Uranus Back
Super Sailor Uranus Front
Super Sailor Uranus Back

Between the 'two costumes', the only things I'd be changing are the brooches, collar, back bow and either remove the third sleeve or the sheer part. I didn't have to remove anything else between switches. I'm really proud of that. (Especially the sleeves)
Whoa, you made the third sleeve removable? That's awesome! One of the things that I find fascinating about cosplay is making it function-able and practical. The fact that you made it such that it's essentially 2 costumes in one, that's awesome! Especially the sleeves, how did you do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickste View Post
I've got a question about using the Green Pepper pattern. My friends and I discussed that, in an attempt to hide our flaws, we should not use a spandex fabric. Little did I know that this pattern calls for stretch fabric, as the pattern pieces are not made to scale, but to how it should fit once it's stretched. I can't remember what kind of fabric I bought, but it's kind of cottony and kind of like a jersey knit, too, so it stretches a little, but not as much as the pattern calls for.

So is it doable to use this fabric and just overestimate the size of the pieces and just modify it like that? Has anyone made their costume without a spandex fabric? I am, indeed, underweight for my height, and I think that using something that's going to stick to my frame will look really unflattering, so I was hoping using something stiffer will make me look more 'shapely'.

If I can't get this to work, what other patterns work these days? I haven't looked into any other ones yet since I was going to try and work out the Green Pepper pattern. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
I'm afraid I can't be of much help, I made a very failed attempt at using the Green Pepper pattern (didn't realize that my hip and waist measurements were way too big for the pattern until both pattern and fabric were bought...). I will say that, if you want to follow the pattern exactly, then you'll need your fabric to stretch as much as it calls for, but I think you knew that already ^_^; I don't know much about fabric, but I don't necessarily think that a stiffer fabric will make you look more 'shapely'. I think it would hang on you loser, but I don't think it would give the appearance of a different shape... does that make sense?
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote