View Single Post
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #452
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Sounds delicious. 1.25 hours though? O_O Good luck! And I'll repeat my question from a couple of posts back - what do I do with kale to make it edible?
Sorry for the late reply..I got to practicing the recipe for my practical (that I got a 95% on!) and kinda forgot about posting here..eep.
Weeeell...kale's not really one of those veggies that are that versatile. Though it's bitter flavor is supposed to go well with richer meats such as game, pork or ham. It's usually boiled, stuffed or used in soups.
If kale is labled "savoy" it's edible but best used for decoration.

As for the roasted red pepper chicken recipe...here it is! All my own personal notations will be in the parenthesis. I've made this dish twice now and discovered that the recipe's measurements don't give you much in the way of the sauce.

1 tablespoon olive oil (use a little more though..the recipe kinda skimps)
2- 6 oz. skinless/boneless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
flour-used for dredging
1/2 oz onion-medium dice
1 garlic clove-medium dice
1 fl. oz white wine (go ahead and use a full 1/4 cup though)
2 fl. oz chicken stock
1/4 pound roma tomato concasse (I can tell you how to do this if you need it!)
1/2 red bell pepper-roasted, seeded medium dice
1 oz mushrooms sliced. (if you hate mushrooms don't bother since this is garnish)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 fl. oz heavy cream (go ahead and bump it up to a 1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon green onions -sliced (garnish)

Heat the olive oil in a saute pan. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and dredge them in the flour. Sear the breasts in the hot oil (use medium heat and cook them slower). Remove the chicken from the saute pan and hold on a plate in a warm spot.

Add the onions and garlic to the hot oil and saute for 2 minutes (protip:saute onions for a minute and THEN add garlic for the last minute..your sauce will come out a prettier color!) Deglaze with the white wine and then add the chicken stock, tomato concasse and bell pepper. Bring to a simmer and reduce the liquid by half. (cook it til the liquid goes down)

In a separate pan, saute the mushrooms in the butter and keep warm. (skip it if you hate mushrooms)

Warm the cream slightly and add it to the sauce. Simmer the sauce until it starts to thicken. Return the chicken breasts and the juices accumulated on the plate (there won't be much) to the pan and simmer until the chicken is done. (about 2 min). Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Serve garnished with the mushrooms and green onions.

Reccomended side dishes: Rice pilaf and broccoli.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote