View Single Post
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #652
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I have noticed that in general ethnic food seems to have become a huge fad for those who want to appear cultured and "Enlightened" (You know, the "Well, I TOTALLY understand and support ethnic minorities and so am TOTALLY beter than those people who eat non-foreign foods, now I'm off to pilates class" people). I'll even admit to buying into the sushi fad during my Japanophile years, despite not liking a lot of Japanese foods (A lot of it is shrimp, which I can't stand, really bitter, spicy, OR tastes like it's burnt because of charcoal grilling...it took a while to find dishes I actually liked.)

Obviously it's not always the case with the restaurant patrons, but it certainly does seem to be a pretty faddish thing. I also get the giggles when hearing people try to pronounce the dish names and COMPLETELY failing. Having taken Japanese for several years, I could nail the dish names. Versus people who were like "Uhhh, Uh-nay-jee dom-buh-rye? What IS that?" (Unagi donburi, if you were wondering what was being butchered XD)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote