View Single Post
Unread 05-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #2069
KoiYuki

I have a few reviews to do, but I guess I'll post them separately to minimize confusion and make it easier to link to. o-o

Name of Commissioner: cosroom
Character commissioned and series/video game: Madoka Kaname (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Partial Costume (everything but socks/shoes/wig/soul gem)
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9576110996 and http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7641358344
Timeline: Ordered the costume through an agent. I ordered a custom sized one, and gave all my measurements. cosroom seemed to immediately get to work, since the costume was done & at my agent within 2 or 3 weeks. I also ordered a petticoat to go with the item, which was sent with it.

Pros: The costume is constructed very well. The fabric is not shiny or satin, which is an extreme plus. It also looks almost exactly as pictured. The petticoat is also as pictured, and short enough for the costume.

The gloves are very nice feeling as well.

Cons: There are a lot of cons, despite me loving the costume.. First off, when I got it, the shoulder area was measured so incorrectly that the sleeves just limply fell down my arms. I had to take it to a tailor to adjust it. I gave exact measurements too, so I really don't know why the strap was so big.

The bows are safety pinned on, though that's to be expected with a lot of Chinese cosplay sellers, due to them being mass produced. It's also easy enough to sew the bows on.

The choker was way too big, so I had to adjust it to be probably about an inch smaller.

The costume comes with a built in petticoat, but it doesn't seem to add too much puff. When I added the second petticoat I bought, it also added very little puff.. it'd be a great amount for just a moderately puffy skirt, but definitely not Madoka's.

My biggest issue was the white skirt piece. It's actually EXTREMELY short, and I'm going to have to replace it entirely. It doesn't really even cover my butt, and I was relying on the extra petticoat to do that, which even then barely does the job. There's no way you could even slightly bend or go to sit down with this skirt. The ruffles at the bottom are also VERY crumpled, and since they're on some weird elastic, they just won't go down flat. It makes it look really awkward.

Comments: The costume is very nice, save for the odd measurements and the white skirt. If anyone gets it, definitely make sure it could be a lot longer, or replace it entirely (though the zipper runs through the pink and white part, so that'll be a hassle to take apart if you want to do that).

The gloves have an odd, off-white lace on the top part that I hadn't noticed in the pictures beforehand, but it's not a big deal. Also, they added red ribbon to the hair bows that shouldn't be there, but it literally cold just be pulled right out with no issue whatsoever.

I'd give this a better grade if it weren't for the skirt and the fact that I had to end up paying $40 more to get it tailored since they messed up the measurements, but I don't consider tailoring in general something not to expect, since the costumes are probably factory made.

Final Grade: B
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote