View Single Post
Unread 06-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #3567
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I don't very much like the fighting system in Dragon Age: Origins, unless it's against a major boss enemy (Like High Dragons), it's normally all about lots of critters swarming all over you.

DA2 feels like an action game. The combat is very fast, focusing on lots of pausing, ability usage, more pausing, more retargeting. Each encounter starts with a few enemies, and quickly more join the fray through doors, over the walls, coming up through the freaking floor (shades) like DA2 version of the Blight, except without Darkspawn.

I kinda miss the Baldur's Gate 2 era where you could end up fighting a few unique enemies and had to carefully plan your roles and spells accordingly instead of fighting it out in a blitz clusterfuck.
I thought that DA:O battles required a lot of strategy. Each one felt really unique and puzzley to me. Whereas DAII definitely just throws wave after wave of enemies at you. The majority of the time the only possible strategy is to back up against a wall or down a corridor and try not to die. It gets to be a grind. Though the movement is faster in DAII, I found/find myself pausing and re-targeting an equal amount in both games. Overall, I prefer the battle mechanics of DAII but the battle layouts of DA:O.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think they used the same kind of logic for DA2 that they did when they made Mass Effect 2...
It's pretty clear that BioWare wanted to make DAII more Mass Effect-like presumably to capture that audience as well. I didn't think that was strictly necessary, but it didn't ruin the game for me and from what I can tell it worked. People who didn't like DA:O but liked ME tend to like DAII better. If higher DAII sales gets us DAIII faster I won't complain.

Quote:
Leliana's Song was.... badly presented. It finished OK, I guess. I think they tried to pull some kind of 'TV-like' naration with the strange character intros (Where they display the name with their face in a red/white screen).
I play on a PS3 and don't recall that at all. o_O? Maybe it's different on a console or maybe my short term memory is shot.

Quote:
Golems was fun, it played like some kind of horror story and the difficulty was through the roof. If I had played it at Hard or above, I,d have rage,d at Normal it was passable. With the Golem fully upgraded, you can get around the thing about having no mage sorta decently.
If you say so! XD Actually, I think that I screwed up the Golem upgrade somehow so I only had one magic attack. It was super annoying when the guy with the Bronto would yell, "Conventional attacks aren't working! Use magic!" Well I would - IF I HAD ANY. D:<

Quote:
In this one, as soon as I got Anders, the first conversation that happens, I pretty much needed to pick the "I want it" or "Unexpected, but it's not like I want you to stop" flirt options to get him to say anything more about Justice or his views on mages/circle of magi/etc.
Hmmmm....Anders didn't do that in my game. Maybe it depends on how good/snarky/dickish you've been? In fact, DAII has been very pleasant in that respect. In DA:O I just stopped talking to Alistair and stuffed him full of gifts to get approval. I mean, it doesn't bother me that the option of virtual romance is there, it's just not something that adds much appeal to the game for me and I don't want to have to put effort into avoiding it. Especially since in both DA:O and DAII the male character I like most didn't even have the option. What? Are you racist against Qunari and Dwarves, BioWare? I really like that in DAII you get a bonus whether you are a friend or a rival. In DA:O , I really didn't care if most of the characters approved of me or not, but I wanted those bonus skill points!

@Mesoian - I just picked up Child of Eden today. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote