View Single Post
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Kitsune_fly

Simon's Core Drill

Before I start, let me just tell you that I have never cosplayed before, and I'm totally new to sewing and everything. I'm currently taking a sewing class and hopefully by the end of the year I'll have some experience to build on.
I'm hoping to do a crossplay of Simon from Gurren Lagann sometime in the future. I don't care if it's years from now, I'll get around to it.
One thing I'm concerned about is his Core Drill. Some reference pics:

On the left is the commercial necklace available for sale pretty much everywhere. That would be perfect, but... it's just a bit too small for me. I'd say it's about an inch and a half tall, when in the anime it fits snugly in the palm of his hand.
I want to make a core drill from scratch. Hopefully I can get it a bit more to scale from the show, and not only that, but I want to make it slowly pulse a green light from the inside. Now, I have no idea how in the world I can do this. I'm pretty sure I can make a hollow drill bit and insert a pulsing green LED inside, attached to a battery of some sort (a watch battery?) mounted to the base. Maybe I can make it so that the bit screws onto the base for easy access to the LED?
The real question here is: How in the world do I make this thing? I have zero experience with any molding or other methods of making these things. I just need a veteran to point me in the right direction and tell me if what I'm envisioning can actually be done.
Remember, I'm not pressured to finish this anytime soon. I have all the time in the world to make this. If I need more experience I'll be willing to learn more.
Thanks a bunch in advance!
Kitsune_fly is offline   Reply With Quote