View Single Post
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #380
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seority View Post
I was wondering if anyone has good tips about off-con shoots, such like in a certain setting and environment? I've been wanting to take some nice looking pictures of my friends and mine own cosplays, since all we have at the moment is what others take of us at conventions. For example, like photos done in a forest area, or maybe on the side of a busy street, or in a class room. Obviously reflecting the characters own environments and/or complimenting their personalities.
Any tips on posing and camera angles you guys think do the best, and just any tips a newbie like me should know.
Thanks for all your help!
Off-con photography is much more flexible but you have to be careful about who you work with since you don't want to go trotting off into the the woods with someone because they claim to be a pro photographer. That said, basically the world is your oyster. There are so many great ideas, locations, and props that can be used away from a con setting. Some character locations that complement the character your portraying are: Emma Ai (Hell Girl) would look natural in a field with paper pinwheels in the background or with cherry blossoms or in a Japanese tea garden while Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) would be cool in a Gothic style church/school/building. How about using/borrowing a scooter for a Michiko Malandro (Michiko to Hatchin) prop.

If you use tilts/angles just don't go overboard and be sensitive to your backgrounds. Also, try to avoid defying gravity (example: earnings don't naturally hang sideways).
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote