View Single Post
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Brown is oddly one of the least steampunk colors there is. The Victorians invented FUCKOFF BRIGHT aniline dyes and you'd better believe everybody who could was wearing them, often in combinations that would seem psychedelic to a 21st-century eye. Bright colors were new! and scientific! and as far as I'm concerned if you don't have something to break up those drab earth tones you're probably a peasant. I mean, sure, maybe you are a peasant. But you don't have to be.

Neon was a much later invention and looks so 80s to me I'd have a hard time figuring out how to use it, but that doesn't have to be a problem for you either. I'd love to see somebody finally make it work for them.
First off, that bolded line made me fucking crack up.

Secondly, I totally agree with everything you said. The Victorians loved them some color...to the point they might have looked like a rainbow threw up on them. I like the idea of introducing color into steampunk costumes. I know I myself have been guilty of using drabber colors, but I have some steampunk costumes planned that will be very brightly colored indeed (they exist only in artwork form at the moment sadly).

Neons would be tricky to incorporate, but if someone can pull it off, more power to them!
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote