- The rave stage setup in the TCC parking lot was not in an optimal place, in my opinion. My reasoning for saying so is because when people gathered around it for dancing/flashmobs, it would block the flow of traffic and become very obtrusive for people who wanted to walk back and forth to get to the entrances of the con.
- I am strongly in favor of implementing a "no cosplay photography in the dealer's room" rule (unless a dealer asks). It is a massive traffic block and this year was really huge, so it became an issue from what I saw. I got asked a lot for photos when I was walking around as Tifa, and I felt pretty guilty turning people down for photos because I didn't want to become a bother.
People were understanding about it but I felt bad nonetheless. I think the needs of the many should be taken into consideration, and being able to walk around the DR expediently benefits everyone.
- My Thursday night was fairly straightforward because I had a group reg, which had a shorter line. But I felt for the people who were waiting around and getting frustrated! :/ Hopefully, the con will now know to put in more tables and people for Thursday night pickup. From my experiences, Weapons Check was not very expedient either.
- The garbage cans. THEY WERE WONDERFUL AND GREAT. It was so much better that I could enjoy my con without the panging guilt of having littered.
- This is a more abstract thing, but I'm really impressed by the fact that even with the event so big this year, the con staff and co-ordinators did such a great job of keeping the overall environment so accepting and positive.
I feel a sense of safety and respect that I don't at most other conventions I attend and it makes AN stand out.
- The attendance cap was a good idea. It was great to see the area so well-populated, but I think having many more people in that area than there were this year would make AN a bit too claustrophobic.
As a sidebar, I'm surprised to hear people saying they liked Perkins because I had a very unpleasant experience there in 2011 that made me swear off the place. I had dinner there with a few friends on the Friday night of the con, none of us were in a big silly costume and none of us were causing a problem during dinner, and through out the entire time our waitress was extremely unpleasant. She was very short and unattentive with us when we were ordering, even arguing with some of us in a condescending way about what was on the menu. Half of us had some sort of mistake with our order (wrong drink, foods not cooked or prepared in the way people had requested), but she actively ignored and avoided our table and even pretended not to see or notice when we tried to wave at her to come over because we didn't want to make a fuss in front of everyone. She was very dismissive when our plates were taken away, didn't acknowledge anyone. My boyfriend was so offended with the service that he left a few pennies on the table as a "tip"... at this point, our waitress ran over, chased after him out of the restaurant and threw the pennies back AT him, literally yelling about how it was "LOTS OF MONEY, YOU SHOULDN'T WASTE IT!!" I was very disturbed by her behavior and as a result, I cannot recommend Perkins to any attendee of Anime North, regardless of whether this incident caused, err, "human resource adjustments" for the establishment.