View Single Post
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
gambit86
Yeah, I can fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
Why rubber mat? I've seen various other methods of armor making - craft foam w/ papier mache, craft foam w/ styrene, wonderflex, cardboard - but haven't heard of using antifatigue mats. Is it cheaper/more durable/both? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
Craft foam and anti-fatigue mats are actually the same type of foam, EVA foam specifically. Antifatique mats are unique in the fact that they are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, so you dont need to add anything else to it, besides a sealant and paint.

The advantage is that its cheap, flexible, light (seriously my costume weighs about 5 pounds totall,) and very easy to work with peices with little learning time.
The disadvantage is that the paint will eventually wear from the costume causing repair time, (really this is true for any costume of armor.)

Adding styrene, wonderflex etc, is another step added to the whole project, wonderflex would require bondo and sanding to get smooth and at this point why not just resin and fiberglass your costume?
gambit86 is offline   Reply With Quote