Thread: Rules/Updates
View Single Post
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #95
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkroxas2011 View Post
apparently its also illegal for a seller to ask a buyer to pay the fee's is this also true because i just got answered that you can not tell your buyer to pay as gift but also that you cant ask them to pay the fee's either?
It specifically states this in the user agreement as being a violation, but if PayPal is changing the policy, then great for sellers! It may be that you have to say you are charging the surcharge upfront...I think I read something of that nature on the updated policy. The best way to find out is to ask PayPal. I think I'll do just that and report back with what I'm told.

EDIT: Policy as of May 1, 2012

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

8. Fees.

8.1 Fees Overview.

Fees are based on whether you are making a Purchase Payment, a Personal Payment or a PayPal Business Payment. Some fees are expressed as a percentage of the payment amount. All Fees are in U.S. Dollars unless otherwise stated.

For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the Fee.
(ie. the seller)

Here is where I think people are getting confused...
** For PayPal Business Payments (not purchase, which is used for transactions by most people on Coscom), the PayPal Business Payment Fee is paid by the recipient unless it is disclosed to you before you send the payment that you, the sender, must pay this Fee.

This is only applicable by PayPal Business Payments (to be in this field, you must be an actual business and have submitted an application, have actual monthly revenue proof, and been approved by PayPal). Yes, there is an option where the seller can choose to pay the fee or have the buyer pay the fee, but only if you qualify as a PayPal Business, otherwise, charging the buyer the seller surcharges is a breach of their agreement and can be punishable by legal means, fines, suspension of account, etc.

I hoped this help clear up any confusion.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 07-03-2012 at 02:58 PM.