View Single Post
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Emerald_Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
In general, I think the competition was really well run. Not a lot of waiting around, I knew where to be and when, so that was all wonderful. In terms of the judging, I was less impressed. I went to the feedback session, but barely got any information out of it. I was told a lot of what was good, but the judges had a hard time telling me how to improve, even when I asked specific questions. As a first timer, it's kind of frustrating not being sure how to improve my work for next time.

For the future, I would love to see a scoring rubric before and/or after the competition. It would be great to see where the points go beforehand to better focus my work. Afterwards, it would be really helpful to see what areas need the most improvement. I would also love to see a more diverse judging panel.

All in all, great job on keeping everything running so smoothly. A huge thank you to the coordinators and the judges for your time and attention to everything.
I have to remember the judging criteria, but off the top of my head you're judged on construction (seams, cleanliness, execution, etc..), accuracy (how true you are to the character in details), effectiveness (does everything come together to make you look like the character), props/accessories (jewelry, hats, wigs, shoes, prop work), and something I'm currently forgetting, but it is 5 categories for a possible total of 200 points, and no one has gotten that perfect 200. Also, each judge is looking at certain things, TinKitty is big on overall construction and loves when people have the perfect zipper, Dokudel is big on seams and making sure seems are done correctly, etc...

Judging feedback is something that we're trying out, unfortunately the judges see ~100 people over the course of the 2 days, so sometimes they forget details if the costume isn't currently present.
Emerald_Star is offline   Reply With Quote